• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The carb problems never end

1981 gs750lx
    After market pipes
    Pod filters

It ran last fall but was lagging on throttle up so I thoroughly cleaned the carbs and flushed the tank and filled with fresh fuel then regapped the plugs at .024

Now it only starts if tank is set to prime, then I can return it to normal setting... Will only stay running if I hold the choke about 2500-3000 rpms... I know the second carb/intake boot is leaking because when I spray carb cleaner on it the idle increases.

Last week we were able to get it to idle on its own at 2500 rpms with no choke. But now it won't even do that.

If it has to be set to prime to start then not enough vacuum or too much air? How can I diagnose and solve either of those?

If I turn mixture screws out does that give it more fuel or more air? They're at 2 1\4 turns out now.

Any thoughts or ideas would be very appreciated.

If your boots are leaking why not remove that variable?
    To not do that is like elevating divination of chicken bones to a religious status.

A leak would not necessarily even be a constant in the equation.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Yup, doing that next... Had to break for lunch... 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Tiny View Post
        If I turn mixture screws out does that give it more fuel or more air? They're at 2 1\4 turns out now.
        Actually, you will add BOTH, but the overall mixture will be richer.

Just for fun, set them at 3 full turns out to see if that helps. When it's running slowly back them off until it runs best. You may find that 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 will be good.

Did you winterize the bike properly, or at all? If you didn't, it's possible that you need a mild cleaning of the pilot jets and passages.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

#2 boot is also the cylinder vacuum is picked up from for yourpetcock
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

That explains why it wouldn't run until started with prime.

Comment

Another question...

My mixture screws were for this bike were mixed up with others... Another mysterious helper cleaning up my bench... Are the mixture screws 13\16 in length or the longer 1 1\16 inch that I think belong to 850 carbs?

Comment

Carb rebuild tutorial linked in my signature. You might want to read through it to see if you missed anything. Lots of guys try to short cut by not unganging the carbs but there is a high frequency of failure from that.

Oh, and since you have pods you should get a Dynojet kit or similar. And real deal K&N pods or UNI's or Ape pods are highly recommended. Emgo pods are worse than drinking PBR.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hey, I happen to really like PBR.
                  1981 GS 1000GLX.
                  1981 GS 1000G.
                  1981 GS 650GLX.
                  1975 TS 185.
                  1972 100. Kawasaki.
                  1968 100. Suzuki.
                  1970 Z 50. Honda.
                  1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
                  1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

When I bought my '83 the po had one of his employees "rebuild" the carbs. I bought it non running.
                    I had no problem working on single carbs, 3 wheelers, quads and cars but 4 carbs intimidated me. So I took them to a mechanic and he got them running but not quite.
                    Then I found GSR and started from scratch. I took mine to Steve to have him take them back to stock, adjusted the valves, replaces the intake o-rings and bought a Carbtune. The bike runs as it should and there are no mysteries now.
                    Follow these guys advice to the tee and you won't go wrong, except the PBR thing.
                    Alan

sigpic
                    Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                    Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                    Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                    Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by habsdoc View Post
                      Hey, I happen to really like PBR.
                      Really? I imagine that's what horse p!ss tastes like. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Tiny View Post
                        1981 gs750lx
                        After market pipes
                        Pod filters
                        What is your jetting like? Needle setting? With pods and aftermarket pipe you are going to be somewhere around 3-3.5 turns out on the mixture screws and the main jets will be many sizes larger than stock. If you don't have adjustable needles (and you most likely won't in the US) then you need a jet kit. A stage 3 Dynojet kit will work and makes life much easier.

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        And real deal K&N pods or UNI's or Ape pods are highly recommended. Emgo pods are worse than drinking PBR.
                        +1 to both. I would only ever use the K&N's or the APE pods.

Originally posted by JJ View Post
                        Really? I imagine that's what horse p!ss tastes like. LOL!
                        +1 to that as well.

Mark
                        1982 GS1100E
                        1998 ZX-6R
                        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          Carb rebuild tutorial linked in my signature. You might want to read through it to see if you missed anything. Lots of guys try to short cut by not unganging the carbs but there is a high frequency of failure from that.

Oh, and since you have pods you should get a Dynojet kit or similar. And real deal K&N pods or UNI's or Ape pods are highly recommended. Emgo pods are worse than drinking PBR.
                          Tiny,

If you haven't already looked through the tutorial in Nessism's signature, I strongly recommend it. These guys know there stuff. Personally I prefer Whiskey and above 90 proof .
                          sigpic
                          83 GS1100g
                          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

It has a stage 3 dynojet kit... I started at 2 1\4 and worked up to 3 turns out with no change except seems harder to start

Comment

Yeah, I love that tutorial... I almost have it memorized I've used it so many times

Comment

Working...
                              X