Just happened.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just happened.

Literally just happened. On the way now to get a trailer to tow. I was riding my 1979 gs850g to my buddies house. It's about 60 miles all highway. Was fine the whole way. Got off the highway and hit city streets. Started to act like it wad out of fuel. Flipped over to reserve and tried to keep going. She back fired loudly and then died. Pulled to the side. Engine rotates with button and kick start but will not start. Checked the gas. Still have half a tank. But there is oil all over the back end. Looked underneath. Doesn't look like the oil plug or the back of the motor. Looks like it might be from the front seal of the drive shaft. Hopefully I can get it on the trailer and to my buddies soon. Would like to get a look at it tonight.

On first glance it looks like your engine oil is making its way through the secondary drive. I have that problem on my '82.
    I cant explain the backfire but if it runs too low on oil I suppose anything is possible.
    When you get it to your buddies house thats the first thing I'd check.
    Alan

sigpic
    Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
    Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
    Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
    Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Is it oil...? Or... is it gas and oil mixed? maybe is crankcase flooded with gas. Smell at all like gas?

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

The oil doesn't smell like gas. Did find a hole in the fuel line coming from the petcock. I replaced it. I'm getting fuel to my carbs. Was going to check sparkplugs but apparently my spark plug socket is on permanent loan to someone. I'll have to get a new one.

Comment

If that has a vacuum petcock, and that hole is in the vacuum line, it may be that its not allowing enough suction to allow the gas to flow. It would also cause a small vacuum leak. Does it run in the "PRI" position?
          1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

It's acting like it doesn't have spark. I've now got fuel flowing to the carbs. Engine turns with kick and electric start. I don't have a compression checker but it seems to feel like the same amount as compression when kicking as it had before.

Comment

Alright I made it to the ignition. Opened the case and parts fell out. The previous owner had installed a martek 440. Looks like I melted the light interrupter. 20170531_184606.jpg

Comment

Working...
              X