question about pods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about pods

So I'm thinking about switching to Pods instead of the airbox. but im looking for some pros and cons. ive heard that it changes the air mixture levels and you have to change some carb settings but i wasnt exactly sure. So looking for any info and place to buy the correct pods for my bike. thanks
    1981 Suzuki GS450T

Josh

Read here:

Buy only K&N or APE. The rest tend to be junk.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by SilentRaven View Post
      So I'm thinking about switching to Pods instead of the airbox. but im looking for some pros and cons. ive heard that it changes the air mixture levels and you have to change some carb settings but i wasnt exactly sure. So looking for any info and place to buy the correct pods for my bike. thanks
      Pro - Vastly easier access to the carbs and battery, looks much better (IMO), significantly more power if you also add an aftermarket exhaust.

Con - You have to rejet, which is not trivial and can be a source of significant headaches, especially if you have no experience with tuning.

Ah, I just looked and see your bike is a 450. I'm not certain if the carb and battery access is that bad on those; it is terrible on the 4 cylinder bikes. I concur with GS1150Pilot on the pods, only look at K&N or APE. They cost more and are worth every penny.

Mark
      1982 GS1100E
      1998 ZX-6R
      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Uni foam pods are passable.

If you get two horsepower more with pods and an exhaust on a 450 you will be doing very well.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          If you get two horsepower more with pods and an exhaust on a 450 you will be doing very well.
          A +2hp gain on a bike with less than 50hp would be 4-5%, which is very worthwhile (IMO) and can be felt while riding. Whether OP thinks that is worth the trials and tribulations of rejetting is up to his personal value system.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I have UNI pods on my GS450 with Emgo shorty mufflers. The tuning isn't that hard especially with a twin, although I don't have it perfect yet and still change the needle/jets/screw settings every now and then to experiment. Do plug chops when you do it even if it `feels' good.

As far as power, I did it after tearing my bike down in the winter and hadn't ridden in 5 months so didn't really have a good frame of reference as to whether it felt stronger.

I love having the pods since I am constantly messing with my GS450 and I can take the carbs off (, open up and install jets if thats what I'm doing), and put them back on in a matter of several minutes. Compare that to when I first got the bike and pulled the carbs to clean them, it took me about 2 hours wrestling them on/off. Some people claim they can take the airbox off the bike through careful navigation but lots of others (including my self) have only been able to do it after moving either the engine or the rear wheel/fender.
            1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
            1977 GS550
            1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

I've never taken the carbs off an L, but there may be less room to move the air box back on one. On a T, I've never found it problematic. The OP has a T.

The air box on a T is pretty huge for the displacement and has the off strokes to return to ambient pressure. You can't expect as big an increase in flow as you would with some space limited air boxes. The pre 80 twins had a nice to work on air box which shared space with the battery; both too small IMO.

For a maybe 2hp at the power peak, I'd rather have real filtration instead.
              '82 GS450T

Comment

No disrespect to anyone but it gives me a chuckle when people talk about how easy it is to service the carbs when they have pods. With a properly cleaned and rebuilt set of factory carbs w/airbox there is no reason to take them on and off other than ONE TIME to perform the rebuild. Factory jetting w/airbox is guaranteed to work flawlessly too so there is no monkey business you have to deal with. Install pods and you will be taking off those carbs again and again as you experiment with the jetting and get it sorted out.

Not to mention (John Park did already) that pods don't filter the air as well as the factory filter inside the airbox does either.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Comment

That said, mine runs better now that the carbs I installed have been jetted to match the pods and pipe. I think it definitely has better throttle response and seems to make more mid-range power than it had before the pods and carbs.
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

i have several GS1000's and not all have supple carb and airbox boots.
                    Sure takes a lot more time to remove and reinstall than the ones with pods.
                    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                    Bikecliff's website
                    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

these speed up changing/cleaning main jets, killer looks
                      Easy to check float levels, too.
                      Rare stuff..

Pro-Bowl Four Bowl Set GS1000 GS750.jpg
                      Last edited by Rijko; 06-08-2017, 12:47 PM.
                      Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                      Bikecliff's website
                      The Stator Papers

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                        That said, mine runs better now that the carbs I installed have been jetted to match the pods and pipe. I think it definitely has better throttle response and seems to make more mid-range power than it had before the pods and carbs.
                        The big 4's show significant gains with pods and pipe over the stock airbox and exhaust, there should be no question on that at all. How the 450 twins respond is a different matter completely and not something I have ever seen really well detailed here.

Mark
                        1982 GS1100E
                        1998 ZX-6R
                        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                          The big 4's show significant gains with pods and pipe over the stock airbox and exhaust, there should be no question on that at all. How the 450 twins respond is a different matter completely and not something I have ever seen really well detailed here. Mark
                          agreed, also on other comments on filtering and rejetting.
                          Some of my buddies played around with pods on the smaller twins and without exception returned to stock.
                          Not enough power gained, higher gas usage, and they run really well with standard setup.
                          Last edited by Rijko; 06-08-2017, 01:01 PM.
                          Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                          Bikecliff's website
                          The Stator Papers

Comment

Ive got 2 bikes that someone removed the air boxes before I bought them. My wifes' gs500e and my gs1100e. On the 500 I shimmed up the needle and added a larger main jets and it runs ok but I have no baseline to compare it to.

On my 1100, Ive swapped carbs now and using the BST36 "Slingshot" carbs, and tuned them using a wideband. Again, I have no baseline to compare the results to, but it was a little weak at lower rpms. So recently I bought some carb to air box boots for a Bandit 1200 (same carbs) off ebay for $20 which are rubber "velocity stacks", then I used a set of "RamAir" brand foam filters that slip over them. It now seems to run smoother at lower rpms and the throttle response seems much better.

Soooo... I would suggest if you go with "pods" that you find some airbox tubes for your carbs and use a filter over them (the RaimAirs are cheap on Ebay, but take a couple weeks to come in from Great Britain.). You get back your intake length and some of your bottom end back.
                            1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                              The big 4's show significant gains with pods and pipe over the stock airbox and exhaust, there should be no question on that at all. How the 450 twins respond is a different matter completely and not something I have ever seen really well detailed here.

Mark
                              Well...I question the "significant gains" part. A lot of the pipes that are tuned for reasonable sound don't make that much power. There is something to be gained, but 5% would be doing well and that's up top, not in the midrange.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Comment

Working...
                              X