Custom Air Cleaner Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Air Cleaner Setup

OK, so I've been toying around with an idea...I currently have single Pod filters on my Carbs. they are kind of boring, plus the odd pulsing suction noise coming from the carbs when on the throttle is just a tad annoying. Personal taste. so anyways. I was thinking of a custom fabricated tunnel intake to go on the carbs. I really like the look of the Harley Ram Air intake...just looks aggressive, and with me running the Yosh 4 into 1 exhaust header and pipe, I thought it would look neat to have the intake on the other side.

This is purely cosmetic-minded, and I know it's not for everyone...I just like to do things...different...lol. The reason I post here is to get some opinions if this would be thought to be detrimental to the air flow and running of the engine. Building it is a non-issue. I am a fabricator, and a pretty good mechanic (I was certified at one point) that aside, I would like to get some input and thoughts as to this setup. I am pulling the idea from intake designs on 4 cylinder cars...I have built a couple Volkswagen Rabbits with 4 carbs on a 1.8 and built a similar design filter setup and it made little to no performance impact.

things I am worried about are even airflow, turbulence, starving for air, etc. It would be rather difficult to experiment with this, as there is considerable amount of work that has to go in to the design to make sure its sealed properly and designed correctly, plus I'm sure jetting changes and whatnot.

so, forgive the crude napkin sketches...I just wanted to add a visual to my idea. Can I get some thoughts on this

And no, I do not want to "just buy a Harley" haha

This is what I was thinking would look spiffy on the side
    63774356_th.jpg

IMO, YUCK-and probably pointless. The less my GS looks like some white trash road warrior bar hopper, the better.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Either one would be different for sure. I'm not sure if you'll have air flow issues but I don't think your design is much different than some custom made turbo boxes I've seen. What I have noticed is that almost all air boxes try to bring the air into the center between 2 and 3 instead of from the side. Scroll down the page from this site for some interesting visuals. Mind you this is for a turbo application, but the design should work well with a normally aspirated also. You may actually be able to get a ram air effect if the filter is placed right. http://www.customfighters.com/forums...t=53700&page=6

The one your interested in I've installed in a VTX1800 and if I remember right, the butterflies open via vacuum hose.
      Last edited by gsrick; 06-16-2017, 08:20 PM.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

You will have a big ugly filter hanging off the side of the bike to rub your leg on. And the air flow to the carb furthest away from the filter will be compromised. Doesn't seem like any sort of improvement to me.
        Current:
        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Car guys pay big money to ditch the plenum for an individually throttle bodies or carbs. I would never spend money to go the other way.
          Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
          2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
          1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

If you don't want to buy a Harley, then why try to make your intake look like one, only uglier? LOL

I'm sure the factory engineers knew a lot more about intake systems.

Comment

Working...
            X