Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carb %#&@*&^ adjustment $%@#^% what the hell did I do!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    Another bit of maintenance you can perform is to remove all the plug caps and check the resistance. They unscrew from the wires. Standard resistance is 5k ohms. If the caps check out snip off 1/2" of wire from the leads and screw the caps back on. I mention this because it almost sounds like your bike is randomly dropping a cylinder.
    He just installed a Dynatek ignition and Dynatek coils. I doubt if he has the old spark plug wires. Dar

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
      This is one of the models that doesn't use o-rings at the head... the intake ports are cast into the head.
      Gotcha. I only noticed the "GS750", did not notice the year.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        While you are ordering the o-rings, be sure to also get the stainless bolts that hold the boots in place. The stock screws will probably be damaged when they are removed, so install new, better hardware.
        Would a touch of anti-seize compound on those new bolts be in order? Or are they okay to install dry?

Comment

No plug caps in the true sense. It has new sparkplug wires along with the dynatek coils and ignition but the "cap" part is just a condom to cover the end of the lead.

I think the damn bike is possessed. All I did was take out the old plugs and install new ones and shubang. Does anyone know and can demonstrate a spirit chasing wookie dance?

I am 90% sure it is not an air leak. I have been over looking for leaks a dozen times. Its sealed up tight. I should have mentioned that when I reinstalled everything I put in a can of seafoam. The tank is still half full. Could the 95 miles with seafoam ... I dont know .. altered something from the time of install??

I tried following along with the post on this page

but
          1. If I could get it to idle reliably enough to test it at 1300 rpm .. I would be riding it
          2. my carbs are a little all over the place when it comes to adjustment so when I tried just turning everything up half a turn or down half a turn it got worse. I had better results when I went at it the first time and fiddled with each carb independently. You know .. when it was running before I messed with it some more!!

I found something on a general google search that may or may not have suggested that by widening the gap it can do something to the timing? Cant play with it today but tomorrow I will pull the new plugs and install the old ones. I will pull out the mixture screws and make sure the assembly is still together and I will make quadruple sure that I tightened everything that could admit air.

Comment

Ok so I wanted to lay out my process for when I got the bike running well and see if I made mistakes or will it be repeatable.

I turned up my idle adjustment so it was at about 2200 2500 rpm. I then went to each individual carb that had been set at 2.5 turns out and slowly turned them clockwise until I heard the bike start to stumble then went counter clock wise until I hear the engine gaining speed then on to the next carb. Now when I was done with all 4 the rpm had increased say another 200 or so rpm. Then I went back to the idle adjustment and brought it down to idle speed. For me that was about 1400 ish but I dont trust my tach right now so I did it by ear. Does that sound like the right procedure or at least one that will work. Its freagin hot out so I would like to see if I can make my next adventure in mechanics just an hour or so and not 4. I dont want to be this guy anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
              I should have mentioned that when I reinstalled everything I put in a can of seafoam. The tank is still half full. Could the 95 miles with seafoam ... I dont know .. altered something from the time of install??
              You put an entire can of seafoam in the tank? That's a lot of seaform for a relatively little amount of gas...

Not sure if it would make your bike run like it is, but I would drain the fuel tank & refill with fresh gas.
              '85 GS550L - SOLD
              '85 GS550E - SOLD
              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
              '81 GS750L - SOLD
              '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
              '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
              '82 GS1100G - SOLD
              '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

If it has anything to do with the seafoam I would suspect it could have broken loose something in the tank that could have clogged the petcock screen or possibly something in the carburetors that wasn't properly cleaned. I would at least check the Petcock and float bowls for evidence of any sediment.
                '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Your mixture adjustment procedure is close. Try it at 1200 RPM, not 2500.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I think Seafoam can cause some running issues, maybe even a hanging idle. Not at 3000 rpm mind you, but I experienced an idle that was a little slow to settle down before with Seafoam in the tank.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                    X