Pod filters for a 81 gs550l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pod filters for a 81 gs550l

How do I determine what size pod filters to get for my gs550L?

Why can't you use the stock airbox? Doing so will keep some sanity for you
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I don't like the look of the air box. I get that pods are a pain in the ass, but I still want to try.

Comment

Measure the external diameter of your carb intakes and the distance from the back of the carb to the frame on the outside carbs. Most commonly available pods are too long to fit between the carbs and the frame hence the need to measure. I'm pretty sure you'll be restricted to buying K&Ns.

You'll almost certainly need to buy a Dynojet kit as well to make them work as I suspect you haven't got adjustable needles. The kit for the GS550M Katana is the one you'll need.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by Xinabop View Post
          I don't like the look of the air box. I get that pods are a pain in the ass, but I still want to try.
          Do your self a favor and get it runing right with the stock airbox setup. Then you can get bold! A dynojet kit is probably a must with pods if you want a decent midrange.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thank you. And just to be clear as I saw they don't have one specifically for my model, the
            82 katana gs550m should fit?

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              Why can't you use the stock airbox? Doing so will keep some sanity for you
              Why do you assume OP can't tune a set of carbs? Not everyone is incapable of getting a bike running right with pod filters. Those of us that can do it seem to think the effort is worthwhile.

What exhaust system do you have? If it is stock then you aren't going to gain much power, but tuning should also be easier because you won't need to go as many steps away from stock.

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
              Measure the external diameter of your carb intakes and the distance from the back of the carb to the frame on the outside carbs. Most commonly available pods are too long to fit between the carbs and the frame hence the need to measure. I'm pretty sure you'll be restricted to buying K&Ns.

You'll almost certainly need to buy a Dynojet kit as well to make them work as I suspect you haven't got adjustable needles. The kit for the GS550M Katana is the one you'll need.
              K&N or APE pods are the only ones to buy, the rest are crap. I would agree that the DJ kit is necessary, trying to tune for pods without an adjustable needle is largely an exercise in futility.

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              Do your self a favor and get it runing right with the stock airbox setup.
              This is sound advice. At least then OP only has to fight carb settings instead of also chasing other gremlins at the same time.

Mark
              1982 GS1100E
              1998 ZX-6R
              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Thank you. And just to be clear as I saw they don't have one specifically for my model, the
                82 katana gs550m should fit?
                They might do but do the measurements for frame clearance and check against the length of the pods. I know K&N do a 'double pancake' filter (one filter fits a pair of carbs) for your bike.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

The truth is I don't know how to do most anything on the bike. But I am determined to learn and get my hands into every part of it as I can. I am enjoying every bit of wrenching on my bike as I have riding. I find it completely fascinating and if it is something I can do on my own, I want to try.

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                    Why do you assume OP can't tune a set of carbs? Not everyone is incapable of getting a bike running right with pod filters. Those of us that can do it seem to think the effort is worthwhile
                    Mark
                    Why are you assuming I thought he couldn't tune them? My question was to understand the need for it and then to convey what ALOT of people here have experienced - that it is aggravating as all heck. I had no clue as to his abilities but for the most part I believe he could do anything.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

The truth is I don't know how to do most anything on the bike. But I am determined to learn and get my hands into every part of it as I can. I am enjoying every bit of wrenching on my bike as I have riding. I find it completely fascinating and if it is something I can do on my own, I want to try.
                      You'll have a much easier time of working through this if you have a solid baseline to start with. As others have said, get everything running right as is first to remove any other unknowns before trying to make significant changes. Folks here and information found on Basscliff's website (http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff) will help tremendously

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                        Why are you assuming I thought he couldn't tune them? My question was to understand the need for it and then to convey what ALOT of people here have experienced - that it is aggravating as all heck.
                        You saying he should keep the airbox to keep his sanity implies he is going to go nuts trying to sort the carbs. It really isn't that hard if you are careful and methodical, it just takes time. The people that struggle aren't methodical and don't follow a pattern for their testing. If someone thinks that taking their carbs out 6-7 times (maybe more) and spending a few saturday afternoons testing is aggravating then they should stick with the stock airbox.

Mark
                        Last edited by mmattockx; 07-26-2017, 01:33 AM.
                        1982 GS1100E
                        1998 ZX-6R
                        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
                        X