82 GS550L Idle and starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS550L Idle and starting problem

Hey, I've got a 83 GS550L that is having trouble starting and it will not idle. Once I get it running as long as I keep on the throttle it will stay running and seems to run great but if I let go of the throttle it won't idle and just dies.

I am suspecting the issue is in the carb not being adjusted or dirty etc. Does anyone have any suggestions on this issue and know the proper adjustment for the carbs on this bike? I can't seem to find any information for these carbs, on where the jets, adjustment screws etc are located and the proper sizes and adjustments for them

NOTE: Error in the tittle, the bike is an 83 not 82
    Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2017, 05:55 PM.

Check out Basscliff's website - http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff - and start reading. You'll need to properly remove, disassemble, dip for about 24 hours, and reassemble your carbs. His site has the instructions for cleaning, jet size, etc.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      Check out Basscliff's website - http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff - and start reading. You'll need to properly remove, disassemble, dip for about 24 hours, and reassemble your carbs. His site has the instructions for cleaning, jet size, etc.
      Thanks for the link!

Comment

Hard starting, especially on a 'cold' engine is usually due to improper valve clearance, dirty carbs or bad battery or electrical connections.

All of those items are addressed in the link that Cowboy gave you.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X