No announcement yet.

79 gs850 popping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You definitely need to fix the carb #3 rich problem. Could be a float related problem. Check the fuel level in each bowl to verify whether it's leaking or not.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Is that as simple as pulling the drain plug and seeing if one bowl has more than the others? I agree the number three problem needs to be fixed but I am not sure whether it is an ignition problem causing the fuel not to burn or the carburetor putting too much fuel in

Comment

Well, pull all 4 plugs, lay on the cylinder head and hit the starter button.
        They should all spark blue/white. It helps to do this in the dark

To check the static fuel height, you need an adapter and some hose to see the fuel height on the outside of the carb. You can buy one from Z1 Enterprises

You didn't reply to the jet size question. With those Harley mufflers, you're probably lean
        Last edited by Big T; 08-04-2017, 10:41 PM.
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I had popping on one cylinder:

which turned out to be bad carb synch:

You may also have flooding in no.3 due to poor needle valve seat O ring:

You are getting incomplete combustion OR over fuelling on that cylinder. For incomplete combustion problems, make sure the valves are closing and seating (compression testing or leak down test), check plug and leads (try switching plug with another cylinder and then, as a separate test, switching plug leads 2 and 3 - un-plug leads from spark plug on cylinders 2 and 3 and reattach the other way round).

For overfuelling, look at float height, float damage/leaking float, wrong jets or wrong needle clip setting, badly synched carbs (carbs are synched to no. 3 so if it was a bad synch then carbs 1, 2 and 4 are not opening at the same time as no.3), check the working of the petcock (looks like you've done that) and the vacuum hose.

Greetings
          Richard
          sigpic
          GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
          GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
          GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
          GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
          Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
          Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Thanks. Jets were factory size, as far as the info I found. I bench synched the carbs with a caliper on top of the slides, so they are close, +/- .002 or so. I need to purchase a set of gauges to vac sync. Just finished adjusting valves, all good, #3 exhaust was on the loose side.

Comment

For GS valves, lose is good. That means they are closing. If you can't find a gap then they are still open.

When GS valves wear, the gap closes. So the tighter they are, the more worn they are. Keep on the side of a bigger gap to ensure they are closed correctly and you have built in some capacity for wear.

I have found that bench synching is no substitute for the real thing. When those cylinders are sucking in the air, that's when you need to check the synching.

Greetings
              Richard
              sigpic
              GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
              GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
              Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
              Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

So, about the jetting....
                I've read they were lean from the get go. What should I change, main? Pilot? Just one size bigger?

Comment

Main jets up 3-4 sizes
                  Raise the needles one notch
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thank you, I think I'll order some jets then.

Comment

Hi Chuck,

Here is another data point:
                      1979 GS850G with Vance&Hines 4 into 1, and K&N filter inside the stock air box. I started with moving the main jet up one size to 105 (from stock 102.5) but it still wasn't pulling like my first 850G.

Next was going up one more size to 107.5's - better but not great.

Last adjustment was moving the needle clip down one notch (to the middle slot) and my bike was running perfectly.

Rob
                      Last edited by Guest; 08-08-2017, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Thanks, I'll try raising the needle too, it's free!

Comment

Problem found! Even though I felt as though I did a thorough job cleaning the carburetors, I found that somewhere in the idle circuit of number 3 there was a clog. The funny thing is I found it when I was looking for an exhaust leak. I was holding my hands real close around the pipes at the head trying to feel for an exhaust leak and noticed that number 3 pipe was cold the other three were hot. Just thought I would add that in case somebody else ran across this thread trying to troubleshoot a similar issue.

Comment

Working...
                          X