Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rusty gas tank with two year old fuel and a seized petcock.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rusty gas tank with two year old fuel and a seized petcock.

So I am now trying to get the new to me 1981 Canadian GS400 (American GS450) and taking a look in the gas cap you can see surface rust. It does not look bad and the tank is half filled with two year old gas (when the owner had it running last) so I am going to assume it is just surface rust as there is no leaks. One problem is that I tried to drain the tank through the petcock but I can't get it to budge and there is also no fuel coming out of it when I disconnected the fuel line. Any tips on how to get it unseized? No amount of wiggling, pressing or pulling is getting it unstuck. Mind you this is my first bike so maybe I don't know how to correctly switch the petcock.

On a side note I see that one of the previous owners must have had a leak around the petcock as there is what I can only assume is some sort of blue gasket maker around the seal.

Any advice, tips or tricks for me?

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Last edited by Guest; 08-12-2017, 08:10 PM.

Throw the petcock in the trash and get a new one.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

boil that sucker
      outside
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Don't waste your time messing with the old petcock if a new one is available. You'll save yourself a lot of time a grief in the long run.
        GSRick
        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

You need vacuum applied to get fuel to flow unless it is in the prime position. Rebuild kits have a very low success rate. We have all started out thinking we can get these running on the cheap, we have all been wrong. Be prepared to spend between $500-1500 to make it reliable.
          sigpic
          09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
          1983 GS1100e
          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
          1980 GS1260
          Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

ignore them
            boil the petcock then rebuild it making sure you uses a dremel with a felt bob to polish the internals
            boil in water not oil
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I took apart the petcock with the intent to repair/rebuild it but I just can't find any kits that specifically reference this model. Another problem I encountered was that there seemed to be a metal disc in the vacumme valve section of my petcock that has broken into three separate pieces. I could not find any repair kits that contained any such part, so I've given up and ordered a new one from a local Suzuki dealer up here in Canada. The new petcock is on back order for at least three weeks and they are asking $130 CND for it. I was surprised such a small aluminium part could cost so much.

Comment

Working...
                X