Vacuum petcock problems gs550 1978

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacuum petcock problems gs550 1978

The vacuum petcock of my GS550D 1978 leaked gas. I solved the problem by stretching the spring. But I am a little bit afraid the leaking will start again. It seems that this type of petcock (4430047011) was not used in other types of GS bikes. So I couldn't find a petcock repairkit on the internet. An OEM petcock is rather expensive (more then €100,-) Is replacing the vacuum petcock by a normal petcock a solution? And has anybody a suggestion for what type? Or does anybody know where I can get a proper repairkit?

Greetings,

Wijnand
    The Netherlands

How much are you willing to spend on a new OEM petcock?

Reason I ask, rebuild kits aren't worth it.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Does your petcock look like this.. note orientation of fittings

Shop our large selection of Suzuki OEM parts, original equipment manufacturer parts and more online or call at 386-740-2452
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

This is the one I researched...it's $100+. These parts don't come cheap. But if you want a stellar bike...

Shop our large selection of Suzuki OEM parts, original equipment manufacturer parts and more online or call at 386-740-2452

Ed
        Last edited by GSXR7ED; 08-17-2017, 06:06 PM.
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

I also stretched the spring and mine now works. Already tried a K&L kit. Tolerances were terrible on the second go-round, after I received a mislabeled part on the first go-round. I'm buying a new vacuum unit once this one gives up the ghost. Saw K&L type replacement units but if they're petcocks are as bad as their replacement parts... .

Comment

"Saw K&L type replacement units but if they're petcocks are as bad as their replacement parts... ."

their replacement kits are for their newer petcocks, not the 35 year made ones - manufacturing processes change, so new parts don't fit the old. I've been using what is likely a k& l unit from georgefix.com with no issues for 5+ years. Still available for about $50 or less
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for the answers! I think that spending money on a new OEM petcock will be the best solution.

Wijnand

Comment

Working...
              X