Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gasoline Brand ?

Sorta like an oil thread, but for gas. - lol

What gas station do you prefer when fueling up?
    Any noticeable differences between one gas or another?

Could be all in my head, but I seem to have easier startup (especially on very cold days) with BP rather than my 2nd choice of Shell.
    I use the lowest octane available in both these flavors.
    BP-87 and Shell-86 (IIRC)
    I avoid the E-85 altogether ("He avoids the E-85" )

There's a SOHIO station on the river close by that is reported to sell Ethanol-Free gas, but I haven't had the need to go there, fill up a can and test it out.
    Although I may do just that for winter storage.

There's also a Valero station near a drag strip that sells "racing-gas" which I recall being around 100 octane.

I remember filling up with Marathon or Mobile and it seemed to me that the exhaust smelled 'heavier'

Everything else seems to work well enough, Speedway, Arco, Clark, Gulf, Kroger, Terrible-Herbst, Texaco, Sunoco, Phillips66, Exon, and a dozen others I've bought over the years.
    Heck as far as I know it's all the same stuff. YMMV.

Here's a site that tells you where ethanol-free gas is available in the US.
    A place to find no ethanol and ethanol free gasoline for your boat, truck, RV, plane, farm equipment, snowblower, hotrod or motorcycle.

and another below that lists some stations for our Canadian friends eh?
    Pure-gas.org is the definitive web site listing stations that sell pure gasoline in the U.S. and Canada.

I know these sites have been posted before, but it's raining today and we can never have too many oil or fuel discussions.

What are your thoughts, experiences and most used brands?

Can't get anything below 95 octane in my country. Also, gasoline isn't branded, it's all named the same regardless of the sign on the stations' roof - this is because any gasoline sold needs to meet regulation (i.e. SN EN 228 for lead-free).

E85 is regulated as well, but there's next to no stations selling it. The big names can't be arsed (Switzerland is a small market), and the independent stations won't update their hardware unless there's a demand.

You simply can't get sh!tty gasoline in this country. One of the reasons I keep putting off mounting a fuel filter.
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Where ever I am closest too at the moment. There's a Speedway on the corner but I lost my brand loyalty years ago when it comes to gas
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
        Can't get anything below 95 octane in my country. Also, gasoline isn't branded, it's all named the same regardless of the sign on the stations' roof - this is because any gasoline sold needs to meet regulation (i.e. SN EN 228 for lead-free).

E85 is regulated as well, but there's next to no stations selling it. The big names can't be arsed (Switzerland is a small market), and the independent stations won't update their hardware unless there's a demand.

You simply can't get sh!tty gasoline in this country. One of the reasons I keep putting off mounting a fuel filter.
        And reason #327 why I'd like to live in Switzerland....
        Reason #1 you ask, the pretty lady's of course. ☺
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by Notz View Post
          There's a SOHIO station on the river close by that is reported to sell Ethanol-Free gas, but I haven't had the need to go there, fill up a can and test it out. Although I may do just that for winter storage.
          There are still Sohio stations? I thought they were all converted to BP years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            Where ever I am closest too at the moment. There's a Speedway on the corner but I lost my brand loyalty years ago when it comes to gas
            Yep, me too.
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

I whip my bikes like rented mules, and I've never noticed the slightest iota of difference.

I suppose I might try to avoid filling up at a station that consists of two old milk cans strapped to a burro (unless that's the only choice), but other than that it's mainly which station is available, convenient, and has usable restrooms. I won't return to a station that won't let me pee...

87 octane is perfectly fine for any GS, and the ethanol content (up to 10%) matters not one jot.

Ethanol only makes a difference if you're one of those cruel, neglectful sorts who let their GS sit for months between outings. Just ride the damn thing once in a while, and you'll never have to look at the insides of the carbs again.

Also, it's worth noting that European octane numbers are on a different scale than US and Canuckian octane numbers. Here in North America, most gas is sold as 87, 89, and 91 or 93 octane.

In Yurp, they calculate octane differently, so the grades are usually 95 and 98, sometimes also 99 or 100.

Wherever you are, pick the cheapest. That's what your GS needs.
              Last edited by bwringer; 08-18-2017, 04:45 PM.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I run shell's highest octane fuel in the 1300
                but any non-ethanol gas int he 550 if i suspect it will sit for a while
                any gas if im burning the tank in short order
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Hinermad View Post
                  There are still Sohio stations? I thought they were all converted to BP years ago.
                  I was surprised to see if myself

240px-Sohio_anderson_ferry_marina.jpg

BP continues to sell marine fuel under the Sohio brand at various marinas on Ohio waterways

isleoman - I saw this quote from another site; "
                  I've worked on several gasoline & diesel truck loading stations. This is where the trucks load up to deliver fuel to the gas stations. Everyone of them, in several different states, was the ONLY truck loading station for the area. We had different injector systems for the different company additives, but every company used the EXACT SAME GASOLINE. Exxon would get a few squirts of their stuff every 100 gallons, Mobile would get a few squirts of their stuff. Always the same gasoline."

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman
                    If you visit the ports in Boston or Providence you'll see all the tanker trucks filling from the same giant tanks.

Some of the big companies in the US, like Shell and Exxon, supposedly put additives into the generic gasoline to differentiate their gas from others.
                    I have a friend that delivers gas locally. I don't remember the name on the side of his truck, but it's NOT any of the gas companies.

When he fills the truck (about 9,000 gallons), he moves his truck to the "additive station", shows his papers to the attendant there, who dumps in a few gallons of whatever additive(s) the receiving company calls for.
                    Last edited by Who Dat?; 08-26-2017, 09:56 PM.
                    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Many of our stations are Sunoco. I don't think they're the Sunocos of yore, though. I think Dorkburger posted a link to non-ethanol stations awhile back, but I can't find any near me. It would be nice if SOMEONE would have at least a pump or two of it.
                      https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4442/...678005be58.jpg

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                      Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post

What fuel octane method is being used? In the US we use (R + M) / 2 method. Many other parts of the world use a different method which typically results in a higher rating number.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I tend to avoid any station that plays TV commercials at the pump. It's a bit of a plague with Speedway, so I'll choose another if I can. Other than that, I'm brand agnostic.
                          Dogma
                          --
                          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            What fuel octane method is being used? In the US we use (R + M) / 2 method. Many other parts of the world use a different method which typically results in a higher rating number.
                            The standard defines both R and M, but for naming and declaration purposes, only R is used. To use Lead-Free as an Example: R at least 95, M is required to be at least 85.

So that would mean 90 octane in the US, methinks.

For others interested in that stuff: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane...rement_methods
                            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

I have a Pacific Pride 2 miles from my house selling ethanol free 89, used be 90.
                              That's what I run. It has Shell logo tape on the front if anyone tampers with the pump.
                              I seem to get significantly better mileage on ethanol free gas
                              GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Working...
                              X