No announcement yet.

Gasoline Brand ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In most of the US, gasoline is refined in two flavors: 87 and 93. The grades in between are simply mixed from those two tanks at the pump. 2 parts 87 and 1 part 93 makes 89. 2 parts 93 and 1 part 87 makes 91.

I've never cared about brands, just octane ratings.
    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
      I have a Pacific Pride 2 miles from my house selling ethanol free 89, used be 90.
      That's what I run. It has Shell logo tape on the front if anyone tampers with the pump.
      I seem to get significantly better mileage on ethanol free gas
      That's because you have to burn about twice as much ethanol to get the same energy as gasoline.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ View Post
        That's because you have to burn about twice as much ethanol to get the same energy as gasoline.
        So why are all the midland cornfields even there? Make real gas then, the ethanol seems to be a hugely wasted effort to what end?
        The carbon footprint is huge, why all the fuss with ethanol, ag incentives from the gov apparently.
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

So why are all the midland cornfields even there? Make real gas then, the ethanol seems to be a hugely wasted effort to what end?
          The carbon footprint is huge, why all the fuss with ethanol, ag incentives from the gov apparently.
          Without going all Vortex, you are correct. Big money giveaway to big corporations.
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Politics, Kohl brothers, corporate farm lobbyists, etc... I agree about taking ethanol out of gasoline.

Comment

Edit: self-censored and dropping off this thread instead. It was vortexy enough to begin with, so I won't complain
              #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
              #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
              #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
              #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Working...
              X