Drilling main jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drilling main jets

So I found a page that cross references different brand jets to each other. This page right here - http://www.historicmotorcycle.org.au...carby/jets.txt . It explains the different ways companies derive their jet sizes. Mikuni sizes theirs by flow - a 120 jet flows 120cc/min at a given vacuum/pressure. Dynojet and most others are numbered by the actual metric orifice diameter(a 120 Dynojet has a 1.2-mm orifice).

Now in there it shows a .062" drill bit can make the equivalent of a Mikuni 138.8(I know they don't make a 138.8, but it's what they show). Well a 1/16" bit measures .0625", so the 130s I had in the 300 before, ummm... aren't exactly 130s anymore. Figured that extra .0005" would get me close to a 140 which should fix the somewhat lean high-rpm WOT condition, especially considering I'm making pipes for it as we speak.

Well? I converted the 1/16" to mm and came up with 1.58***mm. Now THAT size translates to more like a 147.5 Mikuni, assuming the cross-reference charts on that page are accurate. They aren't on the bike yet, so no need to panic. Just figured I'd give it a shot before dropping the coin for some proper 140s & 142.5s

What yall think?.

I think the next person that goes into those carbs is going to be VERY puzzled when be tries to fine tune the jetting , then will cuss you out vigorously when he finds the jets are drilled.

Do yourself and your bike a favor. Just buy the proper jets, they are not that expensive.
    I ride many bikes.
    Some are even Suzukis. :D

Comment

I agree. Somebody is going to see a 130 on the jet and wants to richen it up just a tad, so they install a 132.5 and wonder why it all of a sudden runs leaner.
      If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Drilled jets many times - but I do have a full range of drills in metric size from 1.0 to 3.0 in .05mm steps...
        And I ALWAYS grind off the size markings....
        Good way to arrive at your final jetting - but then replace with genuine jets...

Comment

That somebody will be me. This is my wife's bike, and unless she takes a liking to mechanicking on her bike then I'll be doing the upkeep on it. Besides, I DO plan to get some 140s and 142s still. Likely won't use these unless I give in and swap some 250 cams in. In which case I'll have the proper size scribed onto them and the original 130 removed with a file.

Comment

I would still be leary of trusting the actual size of a home-drilled jet.
            If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Originally posted by Who Dat? View Post
              I would still be leary of trusting the actual size of a home-drilled jet.
              I do mine in a lathe - and when changing to genuine jets have never noticed any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
                I do mine in a lathe - and when changing to genuine jets have never noticed any difference.
                Even in a lathe, I wouldn't trust a drill to keep to size . A reamer might do better, but still wouldn't trust the hole to be to size.
                Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
                1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
                1981 GS1100E

Comment

Heres a chart. Dont know if it will be of any use as far as pilot jets goes though.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                  X