Gs 750 engine/ fuel problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs 750 engine/ fuel problem

Hi I have 2 question,first one is that I have just got the bike Suzuki gs 750 1977,rode it for 5 miles no problem then it sound like it had run out of petrol switch to reserve,still died left for five mins started rode about 1/2 mile same again left for a while started etc etc.
    2 question starter does not turn engine took starter out worked ok put back I did not turn engine over motor got hot......?.

Sounds like you have two issues . Bad petcock, or no vacuum applied to it,so no fuel flows... did you try "PR" position?

weak and/ or dead battery... Probably not getting charged, so it can't turn over starter
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hi tom thanks for your replied,if I leave it on pr would it work just like leaving it on run where is the vacuum from ? Took the starter out connected to batterie start motor run fast?if there any more advise tom would be grateful!!

Comment

When the petcock is on run or res, fuel should only flow when vacuum is applied. When it's on pri, fuel flows all the time.

The vacuum line should go to the port on carb #3.
        Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
        2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
        1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Is there any petrol in the tank? Had to ask......
          And, welcome to the forum.
          -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
            Is there any petrol in the tank? Had to ask......
            And, welcome to the forum.
            thank you
            Yes, when the bike stopped it was like it had run out of petrol.put it on reserve and wait .forgot to mentions the bike will tick over all the time it's only when you ride I get this problem.
            Graham

Comment

So the pilot circuit is OK, but when you need more gas......nothing.
              Are you in contact the previous owner? How recently was it running well. Any maintenance history?
              It could be cr@p in the tank, in the petcock and in the carbs.
              You will need to inspect each to rule out issues/start fixing.......

Edit: Also confirm the vacuum hose is on the #3 carb nipple as Jordan noted.
              Last edited by allojohn; 08-22-2017, 03:08 PM.
              -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Try running it on prime as Tom suggested. If it works ok it's your petrol tap. Don't leave it on prime when you park it up or you'll run the risk of dropping petrol all over the ground.

Starter motor could be worn brushes, dirty armature, poor earth, jammed mechanism etc. I'm only just up the road from you if you need help.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I will check that allojohn thank you.

Comment

Hi hampshirehog thanks for the info,I only bought the bike Sunday,I will take it out for a ride tomorrow .thanks for the offer might take you up on that? If I wanted to get it serviced and tune where the best place to take.
                    Thank you graham

Comment

Just sent you a PM Graham.
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Do you have an inline filter on it? if so, take it off.
                        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Hi mr bill it does have a filter on need to get a longer fuel pipe if I take the filter of

Comment

Working...
                          X