When to prime?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to prime?

I have mentioned before .. its really really hot here now. My bike which had been running great was left sitting about a week and a half. Everything here evaporates very quickly because it is so dry. Today the bike started right up on choke but was just acting weird. I got it a bit warmed up and then gave some spirited 7000 rpm bursts in the neighborhood and still weird. I turned off the bike and usually when it is warm I hit the start button and it fires right up.

Wouldnt start.

I put it on prime and waited 2-3 minutes and fired right up. If I am going to leave the bike sit in 100F+ in very dry conditions for a week or more would there be any benefit to going out mid week and putting the bike on prime for a bit just to make sure the bowls stay full.

When I go to start it after a week and a half in these conditions should I put it on prime for a few before starting up?

Its a newish petcock with probably 350 miles on it.

We're not quite as hot but still in the 90's and my garage without insulation is even hotter. A quick 30 seconds on prime after several days or a week of not riding helps mine fire right up as well. I don't feel the need to maintain that level unless I'm getting ready to run it though. Lots of folks drain bowls for months or even years, then fill em and run without maintaining any level of fuel in the bowls.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Prime it if it sits for a few days. I usually prime it for a few minutes before starting if its been sitting for a week or so. Refilling the carbs during a long shutdown just allows more fuel to evaporate and leave more gunk behind.

My understanding of fuel is that the good stuff evaporates, and leaves the bad stuff that fouls carbs behind....
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

if mine doesn't fire up in about 5 seconds (or less) I switch to PRIME wait about 30 seconds and its ready to go. My problem seems to be forgetting to put it back to ON... and finding it flooded a few days later.....
        1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Question.... After priming do you leave it on prime while starting the bike ? Or switch it to ON before ?
          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
          1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
            Prime it if it sits for a few days. I usually prime it for a few minutes before starting if its been sitting for a week or so. Refilling the carbs during a long shutdown just allows more fuel to evaporate and leave more gunk behind.

My understanding of fuel is that the good stuff evaporates, and leaves the bad stuff that fouls carbs behind....
            That actually makes perfect sense. Thank you .. I guess I was worried the dried stuff would harden to varnish so my thought was keep it wet but your right adding more gas could exacerbate that.

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
              if mine doesn't fire up in about 5 seconds (or less) I switch to PRIME wait about 30 seconds and its ready to go.
              This is my procedure. I switch back to run as soon as the bike starts. And also make it a habit of double checking the choke and petcock at the first traffic light.
              Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
              2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
              1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Working...
              X