Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1166 with baffle,need only 150 main jet?..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did find this old thread that may help http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...s-on-my-GS1100

It sounds like youre getting close.
    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

What an idiot I've been

Well the 150s came in,not that I need them,but somehow I ordered the long hex style
      By mistake,their way too ooh small compared to what I've been running.
      They look like the ones in my rmx250. ( around 290-300 mains]
      Anyway 130s on way now.
      I've been reaming my own so I don't really know where I'm at,that's why I've bought 130s to have something to go by.
      New questions, with the too large main, and the clip in 2 or 3 from bottom she really takes off better
      Than when I go leaner on the mains, is this something I can address after I get the correct main?
      I've benn reading the carb tuning page and it says get the main right first.
      Thanks
      Ps where do I find the markings on the needle,I'm thinking they might be Wrong!
      Even with the l tune not right ,when friends ride it,their shocked at the power.
      59 years old and still learning.
      Benn wrenching since 13.

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs7501166 View Post
        I've benn reading the carb tuning page and it says get the main right first.
        That works if you have mostly sorted carbs and you are only tweaking. In your case, starting from scratch as you are I would suggest starting at the bottom and working up as you seem to be doing. Since the pilots are set ok and it works ok on the needle I would leave the needle where it is and see what you get as you go smaller on your mains. You might get a bit leaner on the needles but it shouldn't be so bad that you can't keep testing the mains until it is in the ballpark and then you can sort the needle for good.

Mark
        1982 GS1100E
        1998 ZX-6R
        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Thanks I just reamed another set. Going for a test now. It is getting close but I've had them off now
          Bout 8 times.
          Will report back.
          Smaller main,bout 1/8in on the reamer. Clip in 4th from top.
          Still looking for jerk my arms off ride LOL.
          YOU GUYS ARE GREAT,

Comment

Still stutters above 3/4 throttle,is their anything else,besides to big main that could be causing This?
            I'm putting smaller mains in Again!
            Thanks
            It is improving but ,slowly.

Comment

Still stutters above 3/4 throttle,is their anything else,besides to big main that could be causing This?
              At 3/4 throttle you are well onto the mains so they should be the big culprit. Can you manage to pull the choke when you get it to stuttering? If you can it will help indicate which direction to go. If it is lean (seems unlikely, but who knows?) then it will clean out and run better, if it's close it will bog just a bit or not change and if it's rich then it will fall on its face. Another question - what rpm are you at and how are you rolling into 3/4 throttle? When testing jetting I like to get into 3rd or 4th and start down around 3000-3500rpm, then open the throttle to whatever setting I am testing and let it pull for a while. With a big throttle opening like 3/4 make sure you don't start at too low rpm and let it pull for a few seconds to get the revs up before pulling the choke.

Mark
              1982 GS1100E
              1998 ZX-6R
              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Well,FINALLY,it ant pulling my arms off,but it might have stretched them a bit,a ride with no stutter.
                Don't have a clue what size jet,it's bout 1/4 in down on my reamer.
                Feels a little lean sluggish below top.
                I rolled on from low rpm in 2nd, and from 3-4 k in 3rd, same result.
                I'm going 1 clip richer on needle as we speak.
                Can't reach choke,no cable,I've got a leather strap I pull just off the carb side to start.
                I rolled it on slow and quick with same result.
                It's getting close now.
                After I settle on a clip position, help me understand what to do with the float?
                Too much a alcohol to ride again tonight but first thing tomorrow I'm going.
                I finally feel like I'm making progress.
                My son with the 05 gsxr 600 will be IMPRESSED!
                It's trying to lift the front tire now when shifting into 2nd.
                Scarry for an old man but adrylin rush for sure.
                I'll be a happy camper tonight.
                This 35+ year old bike still has some spunk left in her.
                THANKS for all the help.
                Can't wait for my HD buddie to show up!

Comment

OK, got up, drank my coffey,took my blood pressure med,took a crappie, and it's off to get the mail,least that's my excuse.
                  Warmed bike up on way to get mail,drove long way home, theirs a half mile straight that's perfect for testing.
                  Damn she's better than I've ever had her. Might try 1 clip richer just to confirm if I'm right.
                  Pops and cracks just a little when deceleration, I'm happy now finally. But I'll change things one or 2 more times to conform
                  It where it needs to be. In my mind it should feel like fuel injection if Right!
                  When I tune a a holley for a classic car that's what I strive for , FI feel, with a Carb!
                  My friends say I mess with stuff too much but dang it ,I like it Perfect!
                  Ps I read somewhere that higher compression might need leaner jets, maybe that's why I've had to keep leaning It!
                  The 1166 kit probably raised the compression, and I can't remember if I shaved the head or Not!
                  Thanks a bunch for all the Help!
                  Now what about idle, mine kinda hunts at idle,the tack stays still but it sounds like it's going up and down slightly.
                  It might be the cams, it won't idlet smooth under 15-1600 rpm, is that bout right for 1166 with g3 cams?

Comment

Acording to my caliper,1.19mm on the jet reamer is where I'm at on the main, if I looked correctly that's a
                    119 Main? Why so small when everyone seems to say around a 130 should be working?
                    It stutters with much more than that?

Comment

Acording to my caliper,1.19mm on the jet reamer is where I'm at on the main, if I looked correctly that's a
                      119 Main? Why so small when everyone seems to say around a 130 should be working?
                      It stutters with much more than that?
                      Well that's sure in line with the main jet size the correct Dynojet kit would've recommended. They recommended a DJ138 which is about a Mikuni 130 Main jet... and Dynojets usually are a little on the rich side for safety sake (lean can cause overheating or melted pistons) rich just uses a little more fuel. So a 125 main jet would seem about right.
                      1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
                        Well that's sure in line with the main jet size the correct Dynojet kit would've recommended. They recommended a DJ138 which is about a Mikuni 130 Main jet... and Dynojets usually are a little on the rich side for safety sake (lean can cause overheating or melted pistons) rich just uses a little more fuel. So a 125 main jet would seem about right.
                        only your WBO2 knows for sure

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                          only your WBO2 knows for sure
                          AMEN!
                          I LOVE my wideband... it makes setting up carburetors so much easier.
                          1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

U find them needles?
                            I'm considering just ordering a new Kit?
                            What about the other kit,don't remember toe name?
                            Or another Dynojet?
                            My riding style had changed from 1/4 mile Etc!
                            To just causing around.

Comment

I'm an old school seat of the pants [wideband kinda guy).
                              I would like to play with one though.
                              59 and still learning?..

Comment

U find them needles?
                                I'm considering just ordering a new Kit?
                                What about the other kit,don't remember toe name?
                                Or another Dynojet?
                                My riding style had changed from 1/4 mile Etc!
                                To just causing around.
                                No, sorry... I plan on being out in the garage tonight I'll make a note to look again. At one time I had a couple of the kits around.
                                1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Working...
                                X