No announcement yet.

1982 GS550L lean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will pull the bundle out and look for pinched wires, melted wiring or anything that may cause a short. I am also going to replace plugs for the heck of it, last time i installed plugs i didnt have my gap tool so i just put them in and plugs 1/4 does look like it may be fouling wet with the research i found with fouled plugs. Either way its cheap enough that it cant hurt. I will get it out this evening with new plugs and see if it shuts off after getting hot. Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 10-02-2017, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Okay I lied, got home and checked plug caps again and they are not 5k they are 10k, lowest I got is a 7k.

Comment

Originally posted by mizz0313 View Post
        Okay I lied, got home and checked plug caps again and they are not 5k they are 10k, lowest I got is a 7k.
        Shame! Actually original stock ones are about 10kohms apiece, but most folks replace them with the 5k NGK ones. They are real cheap- about $4 apiece
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I ordered the ngk and will have them here by Thursday. Not sure if that's the problem but for the price no harm in trying. Also checked old plugs and my gaps where tight, set the new to .032 and will give it a test ride to see if it runs any better.

Comment

I feel like it's runs better, set at 2-3/4 turns with new plugs it seems to idle better. Went up the road about 8 minutes and filled up on fresh gas, had to use a little choke to get it started again. Went back down the road and drove for another 10 minutes also pulling over and letting it idle and it fluctuated a few hundred rpm around 1100 but didn't shut off. Went down the hill to home and let it idle another two minutes and still fine so I shut it off and put it away. Didn't want to waste any energy pushing it home from work so after work I'll get it out and take it for a nice evening ride going until I see issues. Without baffles this thing is kind of annoying, there's a guy selling two exhaust systems from gs1100 and the baffles are there. Would I be able to purchase a system and swap baffles over to mine? Don't think the full exhaust will fit my system assuming too bigger motor. Systems are cheap 15 and 25 bucks. Here's my current state of exhaust IMG_1560.jpg
            Last edited by Guest; 10-03-2017, 10:52 AM. Reason: Added photo

Comment

IMG_1563.jpgThoughts on this plug condition? New plugs with about 20 miles, bike shut off today while taking it to work drove great for about 15 minutes then died on decel coming to a stop then died 2 more times after. Set screws to 3 turns out and got it to work but bike drove worst it broke up in the midrange like fuel starvation then would come back. At 2-3/4 turns it drove pretty nice but it shutting off cause me to try and richen it up. I did turn idle up to keep it from shutting off allowing me to continue to work.

Comment

Does it run any better with the choke out a little?
                1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

If two cylinders stop firing, other two have to do more work or bike will stall- fiddling with mixture and idle stop screw becomes necessary to compensate, but bike will still run **** poorly. Since it runs good for 15 minutes , still sounds to me like an ignition module is failing after warmup ,dropping 1 and 4 .

edit: that plug looks fine
                  I doubt the exhaust baffle has anything to do with this issue.
                  Last edited by tom203; 10-04-2017, 05:51 PM.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yeah I will be sending it out to dynatek no since to keep chasing other things

Comment

Bike shut off getting home got to gas station to allow it to cool pulled out spare plug to check for spark and this time it was the 2-3 that didn't have spark.

Comment

It runs really good when it's running. only needs choke for a little when starting off so maybe only 2 minutes needed if that. Problem is once either coil or ignition drops the bike stalls and won't restart till cool choke or not.

Comment

Yes, sure sounds electrical. You did the coil relay mod if I remember? I'd try a jumper wire from battery positive to orange/white wire powering coils and dyna - this bypasses everything. Of course, you'll have to stall bike to shut ignition off (if it doesn't stall by itself!): this might tell you something .
                          1981 gs650L

Comment

IMG_1239.jpgYes relay mod is wired as listed. Orange soldered to org/white coil and dyna system and yellow going to ignition switch org/white wire. So doing the bypass just makes sure there's a constant 12 volts to coils and dyna and not dropping off? And if it does it will possibly point to dyna pick up? Could faulty coil still be a suspect in this testing?

Comment

Updating this issue of mine. Decided to send dyna system out and received a new unit under warranty so I assume that was my problem. Got the new unit installed and got the bike started once since then. During that time I thought to have lost spark on 1/4 after my few attempts to keep the bike running. Looked over my wiring to coils and wiggled and got spark but still not sure that's my issue, when I get it back it's there. Bike will not start now, it's been getting colder and my garage is pretty cold but after 20 minutes of checking for spark and trying to start it, nothing. Battery is freshly charged as of today. Almost seems like a carb issue but idk how after all soaking and the Berryman gas mix, bike sat for about two weeks. Should I try starting fluid and see if that gets it going? Plugs 1/4 look a little wet after cranking.

Got it started using starting fluid and took it for a test ride and it was amazing how it drove. Off idle transition was smooth and it pulled great and after about 20 minutes of riding got home and shut it on then started it and let it idle but it got to a point when it didn't want to start after shutting off. Took it for a ride after work down to the local shop and It drove great again, about a 8-10 minute ride and when I pulled into lot it shut off. Couldn't get them to look at it so after about 10 minutes I got it started and drove home and it shut off when I pulled in. Idle was set to about 1500 rpm. Only thing I have not changed is coils. Could it be coil drop off? Really trying hard to think it's not another faulty out of the box dyna system. Thanks
                              Last edited by Guest; 10-27-2017, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X