Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1166 with g3cam,120 main,finally stopped stuttering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1166 with g3cam,120 main,finally stopped stuttering?

Everyone seems to think I should need a 130ish main,1166 with g3 cams,v- h header,with baffle,and pods.
    I've reamed jets too many times just to get to stop stuttering wot 7-9K.
    My caliper measures 1.19mm on the reamer , on the Jets installed now.( that's a 120ish main I think)
    Why such a small Main? I'm going to try to sneak back up richer,in baby steps until it stutters again.
    I don't want to burn this engine up.
    Any Advise?
    Clip 2nd from bottom.
    Screws 3 out.
    Slight poping and cracking when deceleration, but none at Idle?
    Idle 14-1600 rpm.
    Thanks, it's pouring rain hear today in East tn, so I might have to wait to test.
    Any advise on float setting?

From the little bit I know about non-stock jetting:
    Clip second from the bottom is probably good, but plug chops will tell for sure.
    Screws 3 out might be good, but that is pretty much at idle and very small throttle openings. Should not change, even if you put in different main jets.
    Idle at 14-1600? Why so fast? Stock is 1100-ish. Don't know specs on the G3 cams, that might be what's requiring that change.
    Float settings should be stock, 22.4 +/- 1.0mm. I usually set mine between 22.0 and 22.5 to keep them on the slightly richer side.

Do you plan on getting jets with known sizes when you get done with your reamer experiment? I have never used a reamer, but have seen a few. All of them have been tapered. Where are you measuring your 1.9mm? If it is at the point that is just about to go into the jet, realize that the rest of the hole is going to be smaller than that, due to the taper on the reamer. Eventually, it would be good to know the actual size of the jets you are using.

Comment

Yes I'm getting new jets .
      Yes they taper,I'm just trying to get close,then use factory jets.
      Thanks

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out how you got 1166ccs out of 750 especially using a plain bearing crank? Am I'm under estimating the crank or did you install a bored 1100 in your bike?
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

It's a 1100 on a 750 frame.
          I've got the main right.
          Now let's talk needle.
          With it on the 2nd from bottom it responds best all through the rpm band but
          I'm getting slight stutter just off idle when trying to cruise.
          With clip in 3rd from bottom this goes away but it's not as strong when accelerating from 2-3k and up
          The tuning manual says go with the best response clip position and work the floats, I've never done this, need help deciding what to do.
          I like the response when it's in the 2nd from bottom, but can't stand the rich stutter,might need clip washers to go half Way?
          Could this cruise stutter be worked out with the pilet jet or the screws?

Comment

I've read read this tuning manual 4-5 more times trying to understand.
            I'm leaving the clips in 2nd from bottom and lowering the fuel, float first,at least I think that's
            What I'm to do ?

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs7501166 View Post
              The tuning manual says go with the best response clip position and work the floats, I've never done this, need help deciding what to do.
              I like the response when it's in the 2nd from bottom, but can't stand the rich stutter,might need clip washers to go half Way?
              Could this cruise stutter be worked out with the pilet jet or the screws?
              1) Try setting your mixture screws 1/4 turn leaner (turn them in) and see if that does anything. I wouldn't go more than 1/4 turn, if it takes more than that I would look elsewhere unless you have them set very rich at the moment. Lots of part throttle cruising runs on the pilots and the pilot/needle transition range so you don't want to be very lean there.
              2) I would definitely try washers under the clips on the needles to get in between the groove height if you don't get it with the mixture screws. You might also find that a combination of washers and tweaking the mixture screws sorts it.

I've read read this tuning manual 4-5 more times trying to understand.
              I'm leaving the clips in 2nd from bottom and lowering the fuel, float first,at least I think that's
              What I'm to do ?
              That sounds correct to me. The lower float height will reduce the fuel flow a bit and give you a leaner mixture. Go slow with float height adjustments, it doesn't take much to change the mixture.

FWIW, this thread and your other thread should be merged and then stickied in this forum as an example of how carb tuning often goes. Then we could point all the newbs that ask about pods to it and they could see what is involved and judge for themselves if it is worth it.

Mark
              Last edited by mmattockx; 09-08-2017, 10:34 AM.
              1982 GS1100E
              1998 ZX-6R
              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Hey, I'll be famous, a part of a stickey , I never dreamed ! [LOL]
                And as soon as I get off work I'm playing with floats !

Comment

As my kids would say,OMG, what a difference a little float adjust makes,I would never have believed it.
                  Mine were at .086, way too high. I went to .098 and now just a tad of stutter off idle.
                  I've went to .105 and waiting on a test ride today.
                  Yesterday's ride was the most pleasant so far,just open the throttle,at any rpm ,in any gear and Hold on.
                  My pilots are 45, read I might need 47.5 to get it right,any Thoughts?
                  I wish I'd learned this earlier in Life!
                  To my understanding as long as the Jets were covered in fuel they would work correctly,boy was I Wrong!
                  I've had bikes in the past I just couldn't sort with the main and clip, now I have another tuning aid to fix them.
                  Thanks All!
                  59 and still Learning!
                  Ps is their a carb sync stickey somewhere.
                  After all is sorted I'm going to check the sync.
                  I have the 4 vac gauge set .

Comment

Adjust 1-2 and 3-4, then adjust 2-3. 1 and 4 will come along for the ride. You may still need a little tweak at 1 and 4 too get them perfectly lined up, but it's better than chasing the needles the whole time.
                    Last edited by gsrick; 09-09-2017, 11:02 AM.
                    :cool:GSRick
                    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

My pilots are 45, read I might need 47.5 to get it right,any Thoughts?
                      Depends on where your mixture screws are at. If they are at 3.25-3.5 turns out you are pretty much at the end of the range for them. Stepping up to 47.5s will give you more room to tune if you need it, but if it's ok as is you can leave it. It isn't a huge change, Canadian 1100E's came with the 47.5 stock.

To my understanding as long as the Jets were covered in fuel they would work correctly,boy was I Wrong!
                      Yes indeed. The fuel level affects the pressure head that forces fuel up into the jets. Higher floats = more pressure which gives richer jetting. It's great to hear you've got it running right, that first ride where it tries to rip your arms off is always a thrill.

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                      Adjust 1-2 and 3-4, then adjust 2-3. 1 and 4 will come along for the ride. You may still need a little tweak at 1 and 4 too get them perfectly lined up, but it's better than chasing the needles the whole time.
                      Timely advice, I'm about to synch my carbs after a long stretch of not touching them.

Mark
                      1982 GS1100E
                      1998 ZX-6R
                      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Screws at 3 out, I'm ordering the 47s.
                        Floats from .086 to .105
                        Response great now any gear,any rpm,roll on are great.
                        Still a random stutter,just off idle 3k.
                        Should I lower the float some more or wait on the 47.5 pilots?
                        Also as I've lowered the fuel the top isn't quiet like it was.
                        I'm bout 115-117.5 on the main, which seems lean according to what everyone else is At!
                        Could my over packed baffle be causing this or maby my cheap ass Pods?
                        It's cool hear today,60-70, I'm going for a ride!

Comment

Last edited by posplayr; 09-10-2017, 10:42 AM.

Comment

47.5s came in,carbs back off again tomorrow,still random stutter ,just off idle,around 3000rpmish.
                            I'm putting the 47.5s in.
                            I'm lowering the fuel,just a tad more,from .105 to 115-118 .[it's made an unbelievable difference].

My air screws were on 3+ ,so I'm starting bout 2 out.
                            I'm driving it once for test, then removing the baffle to c if it is rich or lean on the top.
                            Then we'll discuss the next move, pretty nice now all way to 9500rpm.
                            As always thanks, and all replies welcome,I welcome criticizum.
                            59 and still Learning!
                            Wife says 59 and still acts 29 [LOL].

Comment

My air screws were on 3+ ,so I'm starting bout 2 out.
                              I would say 2.5 turns out to start, but you will see pretty quickly on that.

Wife says 59 and still acts 29 [LOL].
                              That's ok, my wife says I'm 48 going on 16...

Mark
                              1982 GS1100E
                              1998 ZX-6R
                              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
                              X