Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1166 with g3cam,120 main,finally stopped stuttering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shimmed clip today, 2nd from bottom with shim to lean it.
    Runs great,not much different than it was, was shimiming in hopes of the off idle
    cruise stutter would get better,not much of any,air screws turned in another half turn,bout 1-3/4 out now,
    Set idle down to bout 1300rpm, seems to be a little better but theirs just a little something
    In transition from idle to throttle movement when cruising. MostLy bout 3-4k
    It's liveable,but I would like to get it perfect.
    Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      I'd get a dynojet kit.
      Next you will say get an O2 sensor!

Comment

I started out with a dynojet kit bout 10 years ago, after setting in basement 3-4 years when I got it back out, I decided to tune it for riding instead of 1/4 mile Et.

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs7501166 View Post
          It's liveable,but I would like to get it perfect.
          Any ideas?
          I would say you are now casting about randomly trying to get rid of that stutter. That is seldom going to work out well in the end and is a departure from how you got everything sorted except for the stutter. When I work on carbs I start at the bottom on the idle circuit and work up. Once you set your mixture screws you generally don't touch them again. Same with your fuel level and the main jet.

I know this will sound like starting over and it is to a certain extent, but I would set your floats back to stock height, set the mixture screws properly, keep the needle where you are and pick the main by plug chops and how it runs. Then tweak the needle without touching anything else. Get it as close as possible (sounds like that will be between the #2 and #3 positions), using a shim if necessary. I assume that will leave you with a small stutter off idle. I would attack that by adjusting the mixture screws 1/4 turn either way from their base setting to see what happens. If you can't get it with the mixture screws return them to the baseline setting and use small fuel height adjustments to see if you can get rid of it. Don't go crazy with the fuel height, just a small tweak or two. Once you have settled on that go back and check your mains with a plug chop to be sure you haven't tweaked that too much. If it still isn't there then I would have one last go at the mixture screws (1/4 turns again) and see if it improves. After that I would say you are stuck with what you have unless you want to start changing needles out for different tapers or messing with air jets and the like, which is going off into the wilderness on your own.

Is there a dyno available anywhere close to you? Spending the money for a couple of runs with an A/F sensor or installing an oxygen sensor kit might be more productive at this point unless you put no value on your time and want to keep tinkering in a random fashion.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I have 117.5s on way,I'll try them for top end to c of it gets better or worse,after deciding which main,I'll
            Take u r advise and raise fuel level a bit and c what happens. It ant worth my time or money to dyno, it ant that important,
            I've never seen a heavy modded bike that ran Factory smooth, that's the price u pay for more Power!
            Thanks to all who helped me through all this carb work.
            Now let's talk plug chops,I've never done this,and heaven knows with this modern fuel u can't tell much
            By just looking at the plug.
            Is their a stickey on plug chops, do I need to start out with a new one,I have a mini plug cleaner with
            Grit inside that u hook an air hose to and blast,when they come out they look clean as far as u can c Inside?
            When I first started this work,they were a little blackish,back when it would stutter on top 7k pluses, now they are a light Tanisha color,with the timing mark right in the middle of the ground Electrode!
            59 and still learning,u all taught me bout fuel level now it's time for plug chop class.
            Ps,yesterday after a 15mile ride I opened the air screw back out half turn time bout 2-1/4 out,it wasn't idleing
            Smooth,and it was kinda poping and cracking slightly when decelerating.
            Ps2, the steel angle that holds all 4 carbs together is kinda grungy looking, anyone ever make their
            Own out of aluminum? My 27 year old son has cnc training, and access to machine at his work,
            I'd like to roll my own, just for looks,and they would be lighter also [ less weight more power]LOL.

Comment

Got a pretty good complement yesterday,from son 27,[ rode since he was 8),once got a ticket for a mile long wheeles
              Going through the tunnel that devides TN and KY on hwy25, rode the gs, he had rode bout a month ago, said dad that ant the same bike,didn't know we had that kind of power when we grew up.
              Thought his 05 gsxr600 was modern power, said they didn't feel much different up to120mph.
              And ,the HD owner that once owner of a 1166,who told me , mine was sick,bout month ago,he is coming by today to test!
              Makes all that tuning worth it!

Comment

Probably wouldn't jet for decal popping. My bikes have all been dyno'ed and they pop on decal. You can get any bike to run better with a dyno provided the person running and jetting knows his stuff. My 1100 w/GSXR carbs runs like a fuel injected bike from idle to redline. If you like to tinker and like how it runs, that's what matters most! I'm a putz. lol
                Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple:twistedevil:, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Rode yesterday with a couple pals, had my 7year old with me,no problems,no complaints,hardly even noticed the off idle stutter, mostly 45-50mph back roads, loged bout 100 miles.
                  Still got these new 117.5s,I'm going to try later on.
                  Thanks all.

Comment

Tried the 117.5s yesterday, I'm leaving them in for now,with colds air approaching they may be the final change, at least they will be the winter choice,then when spring rolls around I may have to go back to the 115s.
                    They picked up the top just a tad,didn't notice any difference in roll ons, or off idle.
                    Thanks all.

Comment

Changed baffle, more carb work?

I got tired of all the noise, found my stock baffle can that came with pipe,it had never been used,I installed it with some surpriseing results.

I'm OK with the look, but I'm really excited about the new sound and POWER!
                      It has a nice mellow tone, idles smooth and quiet, now maby I can sneak off without anyone knowing. It now makes more low and mid torque,but it shocked me that it now has better top also.
                      The off idle stutter is also gone ,but their is something still going on at transition from cruise to 1/4 throttle.
                      I'll probably have to go back and play with the mains , I have 117.5s now and that seems lean according to what others have ended up with on a 1166.
                      It used to try to lift the front wheel a tad on 1 to 2 shift, now it trys to raise the wheel in first gear Roll ons.
                      I'll try to describe what's happening, instead of off idle,now it's off low cruise,it kinda hunts,or isn't smooth when cruising at low rpms..u can feel the bike pulling then not, it happens fast,kinda a surge .
                      I believe my diy baffle was too restrictive and now it's free flowing.
                      I'm leaving the mains alone,top is better than ever,today I'm putting the larger pilots in and removing the shim on the needle clip,going richer.[2nd from bottom].
                      If that don't help I'll go leaner on clip.
                      Hard for me to belive it makes more power all through the rpm with a baffle can than it did with an almost open pipe,
                      But it does,big difference,feels like 5-10hp.
                      Anyway I should have installed the can before all this carb tuning, hear we go Again!

Comment

Larger pilots and richer clip might have done It! Short ride to post office and home,bout 10 mile,Run best it's ever!
                        While warm I adjusted the air screws, they like 2 out.
                        Fixing to take son and ride 20 mile and c if anything changes when hot, think I might be done.
                        Still can't keep from thinking how much the baffle can changed the power, it's kinda like putting a piping on a 2-Stroke?
                        Thanks to all who helped!

Comment

My 1166 was pretty similar to yours, the main differences being a 4:2:1 and 90 CFM ported head. I used an WBO2 sensor to get real time AFR. I also had a sightly longer Bandit swing arm, but my bike would lift the front tire with a roll-on 2nd gear (by accident).

Comment

Air screws now 2.5 for best idle. When it's hot, still a little something?
                            Going to ride more and pay attention to when it Happens?

Comment

30 mile test trip

30 mile ride, mostly slow, where my little bit of problem still exist,right off idle transition below 3k,just a little gurgle sometimes.
                              I'm really Pleased with all the rest of the carb .top good, roll on good, so I gotta keep chasing it?
                              whats the mechanical thing that's going on?
                              wrong taper on needle?
                              Wrong tip on needle?
                              worn needle jet?
                              needle coming out of hole too soon?
                              Wrong slide spring tension?
                              I'm leaning the clip one more Time?
                              And I've ordered 120 mains?
                              since I just installed a can baffle I'm going back like the manual says and up the main to be sure I'm at the right place.
                              the roll ons are great, I think needle clip is right. then raise the fuel a little and c if worse or better.
                              its really so close to fuel injection now I gotta find it?
                              thanks
                              Last edited by Guest; 10-17-2017, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Still waiting on my 120s.
                                I talked myself into leaning the clip one more time, now in 4th from bottom.
                                Transition from off idle now seems smooth, but,roll ons arent quiet as strong?
                                I'm leaving it alone till I conform my main is right with the 120s?

Comment

Working...
                                X