Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right tank on my bike?

I have found that I have an issue nearly identical to this one:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?247591-1980-gs550e-fuel-tap-tank-noise

The noise is no doubt caused by fluctuations in vacuum (I may have a separate issue here). When I put a tee in the vacuum line and attached a gauge I could watch the needle bounce in time with the tapping. Disconnect vac....tapping stops.

I did a little experiment using a 1/4" check valve in the vac line to try countering the fluctuations. It stopped the tapping, but also stopped the bike about a mile down the road when the internal components of the plastic, aquarium grade check valve melted and fused together from contact with the gasoline leaking through the diaphragm. No vac, no fuel, no go. I knew this might happen but my experiment was a success as far as testing the effect of a check valve in the vac line.

When I opened up the original petcock the diaphragm looked fine, but when held up to a bright light it looked more like a fine mesh screen rather than a rubber sheet. I have no idea if the tapping ruined the diaphragm or if the bad diaphragm led to the tapping. Something I found interesting is the lack of a large washer next to the diaphragm like the one in the post linked above that the poster found in two pieces.

I had already ordered a rebuild kit before I read enough on this site to learn that petcock rebuild kits are a gamble. Already ordered, already paid for, I'll take my chances. Kit shows up in the mail with a diaphragm that is noticeably smaller than mine. Not gonna work. I chalked this up to the reported unreliability of petcock rebuild kits and ordered a whole new OEM petcock.

Finally got the new petcock and went to install. That's when I discovered that my tank has 45mm (44mm?) mounting holes while the new petcock has 50mm holes. I verified part numbers and confirmed that I was sold a petcock that is supposed to fit a 1980 GS550E. It doesn't fit mine.

Do I have a different year tank? The bike was made in November of 1979...could it have a mixture of model year parts on it? I have a 1974 Chevy truck on which I have learned (the hard way) that it was built with some parts from 1973. Chevy changed the design of the blower motor mid-production and some

Here are both petcocks side by side. My original has a selector switch with ON/RES no prime. The new one has no selector, no reserve and has the slotted screw type prime setting.
    both petcocks.jpg

Could be...can you post a picture of your tank on the bike?
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Not right now. The tank is 30 miles away from the bike. Maybe can get a pic later tonight.

Comment

I've been flipping through the internet and can't find a petcock like mine. It must be aftermarket. I'm going to install the first 45mm petcock i can get my hands on just so I can ride.

Comment

The 80 does have the slotted screw prime as stock
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
            The 80 does have the slotted screw prime as stock
            The 80' 550E has a regular petcock, not the leverless one.

Comment

This is what yours should look like.petcock.jpg

Comment

Odd.. the one here that I've seen has a lever but also the screw for prime. The lever is only for moving to reserve. Maybe it's a California thing....
                Attached Files
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
                  This is what yours should look like.[ATTACH=CONFIG]52635[/ATTACH]
                  That is extremely similar to what came off my bike, but nothing like the listed replacement. I noticed the part number is crossed out and changed....I neeed to compare those numbers to the part I bought.

Comment

Working...
                  X