What jets when moving to pods?

I have an Australian delivered GS850G from 1983
    Jets in Australia as delivered are:
    Needle jet (3rd Position) 5D57
    Pilot Jet 42.5
    Needle Jet (Emulsion Tube) X-6
    Main Jet 115
    Pilot Air Jet 200
    The pilot jet is not capped as it is in USA.
    Can anyone set me on the right path as to what jets should I install if removing original air cleaner and fitting pods?

Most just use a Dynajet kit.... much less painful.
    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
      He is correct. It has the needles and jetting required to get to run properly. I had a buddy who jetted back and forth on a 16v 750 with pods and a pipe who got so frustrated he sold it. He was to cheap to buy a jet kit...
      Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
      Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
      Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by uteman View Post
        I have an Australian delivered GS850G from 1983
        Jets in Australia as delivered are:
        Needle jet (3rd Position) 5D57
        Pilot Jet 42.5
        Needle Jet (Emulsion Tube) X-6
        Main Jet 115
        Pilot Air Jet 200
        The pilot jet is not capped as it is in USA.
        Can anyone set me on the right path as to what jets should I install if removing original air cleaner and fitting pods?
        Make sure you use quality pods, either K&N or APE. Everything else is junk. Since you have an adjustable needle from the factory you don't need to buy a Dynojet kit unless you want to. I still have the stock needle in my 1100E carbs (it is a 5D59) because it is adjustable and just jetted to suit with APE pods and a Kerker 4-1. If you are using the stock exhaust then you will have to step up 3-4 sizes on the main jet and maybe one on the pilot jet, depending on how lean the pilot was from the factory. If you are using a fairly open 4-1 then you will have to step up many more sizes. The stock main jet on my 1100E is a 107.5 and I am currently at a 142.5.

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
        OP has an adjustable needle stock so he doesn't have to go with the Dynojet kit unless he feels like it.

Mark
        1982 GS1100E
        1998 ZX-6R
        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I guess if you can correlate the dynojet jet sizes to OEM, and have the adjustable needle, you should be able to get it to run right. I went with their kit on a 1980 GS550, with the K&N filters they recommended and it was painless. Granted I cleaned and rebuilt the carbs right before install, but the bike fired right up and ran like a top.

Comment

The DynoJet needles have a much more aggressive taper than either of their stock adjustable counterparts on the bikes I have changed over. 700ES would not run past 5k rpm until I put in the kit. Then ran great. I vote DynoJet.

That said, your question was about "the right path" which should always start with the goal. Are the pods the goal or are they the means to the goal. Is there something wrong with your airbox? Do you want to run smooth or add noise and/or nominal power? Kind of an expensive and troublesome mod with little benefit isn't it?
            sigpic
            1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
            1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
            1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
            On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
            All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

viper711: Thanks for your input

Originally posted by viper711 View Post
              I guess if you can correlate the dynojet jet sizes to OEM, and have the adjustable needle, you should be able to get it to run right. I went with their kit on a 1980 GS550, with the K&N filters they recommended and it was painless. Granted I cleaned and rebuilt the carbs right before install, but the bike fired right up and ran like a top.

Comment

glib: My own GS850 runs stock air cleaner etc. This is a cafe racer build for a mate hence the pods. I will discuss the Dynojet kit with him. This will cost him around 180+ Aussie dollars by the time he adds postage but does sound like easiest way forward.
                mmattockx: Thanks also for your input.
                Originally posted by glib View Post
                The DynoJet needles have a much more aggressive taper than either of their stock adjustable counterparts on the bikes I have changed over. 700ES would not run past 5k rpm until I put in the kit. Then ran great. I vote DynoJet.

That said, your question was about "the right path" which should always start with the goal. Are the pods the goal or are they the means to the goal. Is there something wrong with your airbox? Do you want to run smooth or add noise and/or nominal power? Kind of an expensive and troublesome mod with little benefit isn't it?

Comment

Hi,

I have a 1985 gs700es with a damaged stock airbox. Having a tough time finding one on ebay, so I've been thinking about getting air pods. I've heard mixed results, good and bad. Do it, don't do it, trying to find the right mixture is hard... Seems like K&N are the best option, along with the dyno jet kit. Is there other options? Can I just put in the air pods and not have to re-jet?

Would any of you by any chance know where I can find an oem airbox? And the secret to getting one back on the bike if some how I managed to find one?

Comment

Originally posted by DR3 View Post
                    Hi,

I have a 1985 gs700es with a damaged stock airbox. Having a tough time finding one on ebay, so I've been thinking about getting air pods. I've heard mixed results, good and bad. Do it, don't do it, trying to find the right mixture is hard... Seems like K&N are the best option, along with the dyno jet kit. Is there other options? Can I just put in the air pods and not have to re-jet?

Would any of you by any chance know where I can find an oem airbox? And the secret to getting one back on the bike if some how I managed to find one?
                    For US bikes a Dynojet kit is by far the best way to go for switching to pods. The kits were professionally developed to work as a set and you need the adjustable needle for fine tuning.

Besides K&N, APE pods are also good quality and work fine. The cheap ones are to be avoided.

No, you cannot put pods on and not rejet. It will run like crap (if at all) and you may damage the engine with the very lean mixture.

As for getting the jetting right, the bigger displacement bikes seem to be easier to sort than the smaller bikes. It is pretty much always possible to sort things, but it can be time consuming and frustrating, especially if you have no experience with it. My 1100E went about as well as can be expected for a rejet and I had the carbs off the bike 8 or 9 times in total getting where it is now. The first 7-8 times were when I was initially sorting it and the last time was to tweak the needle to suit a new set of pods I installed. You must be methodical and patient, making only one change at a time and keeping copious notes on what was done and how it worked out. That is not for everybody and you can read many accounts of failure on this forum to show that.

Mark
                    1982 GS1100E
                    1998 ZX-6R
                    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
                    X