petcock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

petcock?

I have a 1980 GS850L. The bike stalled on me out on the highway, first losing power and then just dying when i pulled the clutch lever to downshift. It was if I ran the gas tank empty, which wasn't the case. After getting a tow back to my place, I discovered the carb bowls for 2 and 3 had just a little gas, and 1 and 4 carb bowls had none. I tried using prime position on petcock, and it pulls some fuel through( the fuel line is the clear kind) but not even enough to fill the inner bowls half full. The valve in this petcock should open with just a little bit of engine vacuum,in prime position and STAY open, correct? The petcock is just a year old and I ordered it from George Fixs, so it is aftermarket, but came recommended on GSR. Am I right to assume this issue is just the petcock and it should be disassembled/cleaned or replaced?

The gas should run in the PRIME position even without the vacuum hose hooked up. Unhook your fuel line and put it in a can or something and turn the valve to PRIME and it should run freely into the can. If not, you might have crap on the screen inside the tank or maybe a blocked vent.
    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

This is the deluxe 1980 petcock... no lever, apparently for prime ,you need to use screwdriver to move slot to vertical ( ?) and bump starter to get fuel to flow (and stay flowing).
      might be gummed up petcock filter, gas cap not venting, or just a bad petcock. Try this test...
      Try this... remove both lines from petcock: get some clear vinyl tubing that fits snugly on petcock vacuum fitting. In "on" and "res" fuel,show flow freely when you suck on this tubing- otherwise it should not.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If it's the petcock tom203 described I had one fail where it wasn't supplying gas to two of my carburetors. When I went to empty the tank I could not get the petcock to flow properly with vacuum or on prime. I got a new K&L at Z1 for about half of what I paid for the Suzuki part. I have a '80 tank on my '78. Incidentally the K&L part looks identical to the Suzuki part and is made in Japan.
        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

It is a 1980, so it's totally vacuum operated with only prime and on positions. The filter is clear and i took petcock apart, and there's nothing clogged up. I verified the gas cap is venting. This could only be a malfunctioning petcock right? I was hoping I wouldn't have to shell out for another replacement. Suzuki OEM is 80some dollars. Does Z1 get stuff shipped fairly quickly?

Comment

Blow some air up the fuel nipple with it in PRIme to blow crap off the in tank filter...if theres anything clogging that up the air ill remove it. Or just remove the petcock and visually check it.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I drained the tank and removed the petcock. The filter on the petcock was clear and i disassembled it and it it wasn't clogged up anywhere. I'm thinking it just failed and i need a replacement.

Comment

Z1 is open again after Erma. I'm sure that slowed them down some.Give them a call.
                '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                X