Carb obsolete?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb obsolete?

Hi i have a 1981 suzuki gs250t and im having probs with my carb.. iv been tring to find a new/used one so i dont have to go through the trouble of rebuilding it... but it seems that even the oem suzuki parts store doesnt even selll it because its "obsolete" .. how is it? I still need one to make my bike run? Does this bike share a universal carb with other bikes? Or should i jjust have it rebuilt?
    Carb leaks gas and idols at 4k rpm.. cant seem to bring it down at all so is it the carb or something else?
    Last edited by Guest; 09-20-2017, 02:18 PM.

Send it to Bill - Chef1366. You won't find a new one...

High Idle could be air leaks, suspect you have more to work on than just the carbs.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Even if you buy a used one, there is no guarantee it will be in pristine condition, and you're likely to have to go through it anyhow. Actually, it's almost universally agreed on around here that you will have to clean it.

Unless there is overt damage to the internals, a thorough cleaning and replacement of some of the rubber bits ought to do the trick.

If you haven't found it yet, member Basscliff hosts a bunch of wonderful guides including a carb cleaning tutorial on his personal site:

'83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Would you expect to walk in a Ford dealer and pick up a carb for a Model T? I think manufacturers are only required to supply parts for 10 years. Even if you find a NOS carb, it may need rebuilding, just from age. You bought an old bike, and you're going to have to work on it. Ask for help here, and listen. These guys have seen it all, and they don't mind sharing. I too suspect that there's more going on than the carb.
        Last edited by Guest; 09-20-2017, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X