Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS1100e carb search

My bike = 1983 GS1100E.
    I was 'carefully' executing a full cleaning of my carbs when things took a bad turn. While removing the aluminum plug covering the pilot screw I broke part of carb body #2. I took to shopping for a replacement body. On ebay I have found carbs 1,3 and 4 but no #2 for sale all by itself. I also found a few full sets but am not 100% sure they will be a plug and play fit (after a full cleaning without breaking any bodies). i can post pictures of the broken carb if it will help.

Here are a few I found. I am hoping that someone with a bigger/better brain than mine can help me tell which one(s) will fit well. The problem I see on the listings is no mention of a G or E or anything. They just say 1100.

I also found a set on our own for sale section and have PM'd the member about them.

Thank you in advance for any insight and help,
    Rich

"While removing the aluminum plug covering the pilot screw I broke part of carb body #2. I took to shopping for a replacement body. "

How about a pic of your handiwork, maybe someone can save it ?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

sure thing. will take one when I get home. it is pretty bad and embarrassing. went full doofus on it.

Comment

it is pretty ugly and not one of my best moments working on her.

Comment

You could make that work if you need to. Set the screw to where you want it and a dab of rtv will get you by.
          -1980 GS1100 LT
          -1975 Honda cb750K
          -1972 Honda cl175
          - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

But wait there is more. I really hosed things up.

Comment

Any chance you have those pictures, but not a n Photobucket?

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

yes I do.
                FullSizeRender (5).jpg

Comment

and...
                  FullSizeRender (6).jpg

Comment

sort of on topic question. Is it normal for people to 'rebuild' these and just leave these plugs in there? Most of the used sets of carbs that I see still have them and I would like to think they were rebuilt at some point in the last 34 years.

Comment

Nothing in those pictures says that that carb can't be used.

Can you turn the mixture screw to the left at all? If you can turn it about 30-35 degrees, so the slot is aligned just in front of the vacuum nipple. use a Dremel tool with a large(-ish) cut-off wheel to slice through the 'tower' and clean out the slot on the mixture screw.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I will check it out tonight and report back. Thanks.

Comment

I have a full set of 83 carbs with a Dynojet kit installed.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

could not get to it last night. working from home tomorrow so I should have plenty of time to see what I can do with the dremel.

Comment

having trouble getting the screw out even after dremel usage. Going to work on it more this weekend but am also going to start reaching out to those that said that they have carbs for sale.

Comment

Working...
                              X