78 GS1000 filter side O.D. of Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS1000 filter side O.D. of Carbs

Shopping for some new pod filters. I did a search of the carb spec thread and couldn't find this data and lots of googling turns up sizes from 46mm to 54mm. Pretty big window. It's currently got K*N pods on it but I want to go to a more standard disposable filter media. I'm not a big K&N fan personally. Even on the same parts website they list multiple different sizes.

Can anyone give me some insight here? I would just measure them but the bike is currently an hour away and no one is there to check for me.

Thanks for any help,
    Josh

If you don't like the K&N don't bother with the cheap disposable pods.
    Go to APE. They have quality parts including filters.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I've got some crappy disposable pods I'll happily trade you for your K&N's
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
        I've got some crappy disposable pods I'll happily trade you for your K&N's
        I stopped using K&Ns in my Jeeps when I discovered fine dust down stream of the filter. Many others have found similar. I figured I'd just not use them in an off road application. Then I stumbled across this Nissian/Infinity Owners Club study using some high end equipment and decided K&Ns would never "grace" any of my vehicles again. I don't think they're out there blowing up engines but I think they suck as an airfilter after reviewing that page a few times. So I'd rather just deal with throw away paper elements espeically since this bike doesn't get ridden that often.

Was going to go with some EMGOs but those APEs are nice and really not that pricey when you're talking 4 filters. Are they paper element filters or oiled gauze?

Before spending your money on an aftermarket intake, let's debunk the misleading incomplete info about filtering and horsepower in the sales literature.

Comment

Nessism has frequently said the same thing... The problem is that when they have enough oil on to work well they don't flow better than anything else but generic paper pods are not the answer.

In fuel injected machines they have somewhat of a reputation for gooping up MAF metering wire.

Maybe look at the foam Uni filters. I had a 750 with those on (I never run it with them but previous owner had run it with them for years, his carb settings were somewhat similar to the K&N settings).

I use a Uni on the KLR. The other one well thought of seems to be NoToil.

I do have K&N pods on my Skunk - can't say that I've had problems myself....
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I'm pretty sure these are the K&N pods I have on my VM26 carbs: https://www.knfilters.com/mobile/mPr...x?prod=RU-2454

It says the ID is 44mm. I'll double check this is what I have when I'm near my PC
            Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
            2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Love that someone quoted NICO. I grew on that forum when I used to mess with Nissans.
              Jordan

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
              1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Confirmed the K&N part number...
                Jordan

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Working...