Icky Tricky Petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Icky Tricky Petcock

I've read through several of the petcock related threads on here and have yet to find something quite like mine. So my bike keeps "running out of fuel" on a full tank of gas,s so I traced it to the petcock. When I turn it to prime and the fuel flows, but the bike will still die on me if I accelerate hard for a longer period of time and then let off. Almost every time it dies I'll try to start it back up and it backfires, then I try again and it starts right up. It does this exact same thing when I initial start up my bike and ride it for the first few minutes, but it wont do it when its in neutral and I rev it up for a while. I took the tank off of the bike and gas flows when its turned to prime as it should, it doesn't flow on run even if I suck on the vacuum tube, and it flows on reserve when I suck on the vacuum tube. I'm just not so sure what problem or couple of problems are that are causing this.

Cracked and leaky suction line or a clogged in the tank petcock filter come to mind of things i would check. Be sure the suction line seals well on the carb vacuum ports too. May wish to edit your signature to show what bike you have for further questions..makes it easier for someone to reply to
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Could be the rubber disc behind the lever,The flow on Reserve means it's not the diaphragm

Parts don't last forever

But, you're positive it's not the fuel tank vent?
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

After riding it around some more and limping it back home, I actually think it is the ignitor, which I should have suspected before. It will die immediately without sputtering or warning and then pretty much start back up immediately. Then it will either ride fine for 30 seconds or up to 10 minutes like nothing even happened, so kind of inconsistent. I just installed some dyna coils on it, so I know it isn't those.

Comment

Working...
        X