ethanol annoyance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ethanol annoyance

just a little rant regarding the effects of ethanol.

last spring i rebuilt my vm26ss carbs with the cycle o-rings kit and new gaskets. went for a couple of rides and then the bike got parked due to unrelated reasons and i didnt get back to it until recently.
    Now the insides are coated in green stuff and all the new o-rings are shrunk and cracking! wtf. before moving to texas I never had to replace the orings, now i have had to do it twice in 4 years.

no, I didnt drain the carbs, but the tank was off because I did drain the fuel out of it.

the last time I had to replace them I had removed the carbs and pulled the float bowls before storage, and while the carbs were clean all the orings were decayed when i went to ride again a year later.

ethanol sucks, but you all knew that already

ps. anybody know a way to prevent this from happening again?

I drain tanks and bowls for all my bikes for long term storage. My Cooley sat for 15 1/2 months. Put fuel in, PRIme at the petcock, and rode away like the day it was put away. No cracked orings or leaks of any sort. But here in OK we have tons of 100% pure gas at the pumps so we dont get ethanol problems...if they are prepped right for storage.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

when I got my first gs I was in nebraska and only used uncut fuel. I rode it for almost 5 years there, and never did any prep to winterize, I just parked it and come springtime I just fired it up and rode.
      since moving to texas I cant get uncut fuel and have had to clean the carbs everytime it sits a month or two and replace the orings everytime it sits for a year( thanks to electircal issues and getting hit by cars it has sat more than not since 2013). not to mention going from 50+ mpg to less than 40. no matter how long I have spent tuning it, i cant keep power and economy like I had before.

but i digress...

Comment

I've used stabil marine (blue stuff) in boats,cars ,etc.with good results for six + months of idleness. My bike starts right up come springtime with no complaints. An $8 bottle goes a long way
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Is it possible there’s something else in your local fuel blend causing this? We’ve had ethanol in our gas around here for as long as I can remember and have never had problems like that. Some years I’m better at winterizing than others and my various machines usually start right up in the spring.
          -1980 GS1100 LT
          -1975 Honda cb750K
          -1972 Honda cl175
          - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

I suspect it is more the Texas heat. The gas in the bowls evaporates and leaves the green gunk. Ethanol causes the most damage in wet or humid climates where it can absorb water. I have had white scaly residue clog pilot jets in as little as 2 months, but O-rings last forever here because it never gets much above 80. I found a station nearby that sells non-ethanol premium and use it whenever I can, certainly as winter approaches.
            sigpic
            09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
            1983 GS1100e
            82\83 1100e Frankenbike
            1980 GS1260
            Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

10% blend here never a problem with o ringsnor a problem with winterizing just use stabil
              bikes gone weeks without a start and always starts without a problem and runs fine
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I live in Newport News Va. classified as subtropical. I use Startron in all my small motors and motorcycle and have had very good luck with it. Most of the boat guys down here use it. I don't think anything will help very much if all the fuel is allowed to evaporate though.
                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

For a list of stations that carry non ethanol fuel refer to www.pure-gas.org
                  1980 GS1000E

Comment

We have a Coleman gas camping stove. In it's second season it started blowing past the seals.
                    Replaced them with locally sourced and it's holding up well.
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous
                    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I use non ethanol in everything but my post 90's vehicles. There is a big power loss using ethanol fuel. Not to mention its corrosive effects on alloys, breaks down fuel lines if not updated, water absorption... so many things bad about ethanol. If I am out on the road and need to buy it I try to only get what I need to get home. The fuel additives are all bandages. Go on any boating forum ... Wonder what it does to your carbs, go to any racing forum and search for posts from the guys running alcohol. This has been beat to death . Do a google. To answer the original question "ps. anybody know a way to prevent this from happening again?" JUST SAY NO !

Comment

I use Lucas additive, kinda new,comes in a can that resembles sea foam.
                        I also try to start using only pure gas the last few rides of the year.
                        Then at least once a month start them and let them run a minimum of 20 min.usually do a short ride.
                        I also add just a tad of atf,mabe an Oz or less to each tank before parking.

Comment

Working...
                        X