Throttle cable replacement on 1980 GS1000G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle cable replacement on 1980 GS1000G

Hey guys- I'm going to replace the throttle cable on my '80 GS1000G later this evening. I have a new OEM cable from Ebay and I've been putting off the installation. It doesn't look to be a big deal- remove the seat (I do that just to be safe), the tank and have at it.

Since I've never done this before, and of course I can't find my manual, do I need remove the carbs, or can I attach the cable with them in place. When I R&R the carbs, I ALWAYS connect the throttle cable end to the carbs BEFORE I mount them- doesn't seem to be an easier way.

Also, do I just separate the two halves of the throttle twist grip and connect that end there too? If there's a canned procedure somewhere maybe someone could send me the link.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Its bone simple except for lacing the knob end of the cable at the carbs. I recently replaced mine. I threaded the cable through the frame where it needed to go and attached the knob on the cable through the carb first. Then so long as you adjusters are let all the way out just open the two halves of the throttle set up and lace in the throttle side. It will take you less than 20 minutes. Then just adjust the cable as nesssary starting at the carb side for course adjustment and then at the throttle for finer adjustment.

Comment

Thanx Boriqua, for some reason I've been putting this off, but I'm heading out now to finally get it done.

Comment

SUZ_THR_CABLE_WRONG_EBAY.jpgWell I took the stock cable off the bike, the part number on it was #44050. The cable the Ebay guy sent me was #47060, WAY TOO SHORT. (see the pic)

Does anyone know what the right number should be? The cable on the bike seems the right length, I have to think he sent me one from a smaller Suzuki. His listing specifically said it was for my bike- 80 GS1000G.

Just goes to show you have to check everything as soon as you get it even if you're not going to install it for a while.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

Comment

What he sent you was for a GS1000S, the "Wes Cooley" model. Less rise to those bars, maybe narrower, too, meaning shorter cable.

The number you have is definitely correct, as long as you have stock handlebars.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well it looks like I have another Suzuki part to add to the for sale forum!

Comment

And for those who are interested in changing their stock bars, it's nice to see exactly how much shorter the S bars are.

Thanks for posting the picture.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I don't think that it is a big deal with throttle cables, but OEM are better made than the aftermarket ones. With the clutch cable, you can see the aftermarket one compress. Throttle has a much less severe service.

The weird rubber part that goes through the hole in the rear fuel tank is no longer available, as far as I know, and maybe the big rubber washer too. I take that back. Partshark appears to have them. In any case, those can be a bit fiddley to reassemble. One of my bikes in particular likes to waste my time when reinstalling the tank. Sometimes the front rubbers want to fall of in reassembly.
                Last edited by 850 Combat; 10-11-2017, 08:38 PM.
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by Mickeymoe View Post
                  Hey guys- I'm going to replace the throttle cable on my '80 GS1000G later this evening. I have a new OEM cable from Ebay and I've been putting off the installation. It doesn't look to be a big deal- remove the seat (I do that just to be safe), the tank and have at it.

Since I've never done this before, and of course I can't find my manual, do I need remove the carbs, or can I attach the cable with them in place. When I R&R the carbs, I ALWAYS connect the throttle cable end to the carbs BEFORE I mount them- doesn't seem to be an easier way.

Also, do I just separate the two halves of the throttle twist grip and connect that end there too? If there's a canned procedure somewhere maybe someone could send me the link.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
                  I recently did this on my GS450, while it only has two carbs, I still had to pull them off before putting the the cable on. It was simply easier than trying to fish it in the right spot. You can really run the throttle cable how ever you like as long as it doesn't kink up. Mine just runs straight up under the gas tank and behind under the gauge cluster and back around to the handle bar. Just be patient if you have to snake it through something, dont force it if you dont have to.

I like to push and pull the cable when i get it "about in place" to make sure it moves freely before committing, just in case.
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-11-2017, 08:42 PM.

Comment

So I just ordered a NOS throttle cable from Ebay in the original sealed bag with the same number as is on my existing cable. When I had the cable off, which I had to put back, I de-kinked it and lubed the crap out of it and it felt as free as the new one. However, when I started the bike and warmed it up, it still had the random idle issue- 1200rpm, then 2000rpm etc, etc do I think I'll replcase the O'rings behind the intake boots. So I don't get screwed again, is there a proper part number that I can search for on Ebay? I am finding more and more that Ebay sellers want YOU to do the research, and just send the part back if it doesn't work, which is BS. I'm sure I'll find lots-o-listings for GS1000 intake boot O'rings when they don't have the slightest idea what bikes they fit.

Thanks, Mark

Comment

Working...
                    X