Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

curiouser and curiouser Petcock causing my problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

curiouser and curiouser Petcock causing my problems?

So I have fiddled and dinked and turned screws this way and that but while the bike runs strong and fast right up to red line I have had a devil of a time getting it to idle right. I had it at one point and then .. it went away.

I started to suspect my petcock might be an issue. I bought a new one on Ebay when I started this project 6 months ago but it wasnt oem. I Think it was a K&L but I cant remember.

Anyway a few weeks back something odd started to happen. If I did a hard brake like your driving ten over the speed limit and that yellow light changed faster than the starship

Then my engine would speed up. Clutch in no throttle but the rpms would climb. Hmmmmm

Then .. I noticed that if I pulled into a parking lot and took care of some shopping or something and was gone say 15-20 minutes when I came back out when I started the bike with NO enricher it would explode to life the same way it does when I start it first time of the day when I have the enricher wide open. It would drop down but I found it odd and had not experienced it before.

Running out of ideas and someone mentioning potential issues with the diaphram on some petcocks I figured I would try something. I plugged my vacuum line and put it on prime. My old GS many years ago was an on and off affair. Well wouldnt you know I rode around the area so I could stop at lights and stop signs for about 25 miles and it idled perfectly and dropped to idle instantly when coming to a light.

The hanging idle was gone?? Before once it got a bit warm it would hover at 2100 for about 20-30 seconds before dropping to idle. Today with the vacuum line plugged. It ran like a top.

So ... were the gods just done tormenting me and it was mad coincidence or could I be on to something?
    Alex

Sounds like you found the solution.
    Maybe it was a leaky vacuum line?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
    X