Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 GS550 and GS650 carbs interchangeable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS550 and GS650 carbs interchangeable?

Hey all,

I have been doing a ton of searching on this topic and just can't find a definitive answer. I have BS32SS Mikuni cabs, part 47070 on my 1980 GS550. While rebuilding them, I accidentally stripped some threads in Carb 3 and it looks like I am going to need to replace it. GS550 carbs are about twice as much on eBay as GS650 carbs due to demand or solar alignment, idk. Anyway, I have searched and found that the GS650 uses the same carbs and the alignment is supposed to be the same. My guess is that the jets from the factory are the only difference. But, what worries me is that the part number is not the same 47070 on the GS650. This could be for a number of reasons, but it makes me unsure and I don't want to waste more money buying something that doesn't work. So, does anyone know for a fact if I could replace my GS550 carbs with GS650 carbs, and simply change out the jets? Thanks for your time!

The "main air jet" and the "starter jet" are both larger on the 650. These are both pressed in, I don't know of any way to change them or what it would take to compensate.

You could probably get them to work, but you might have to do some fine-tuning beyond simply swapping the jets.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      The "main air jet" and the "starter jet" are both larger on the 650. These are both pressed in, I don't know of any way to change them or what it would take to compensate.

You could probably get them to work, but you might have to do some fine-tuning beyond simply swapping the jets.

Thanks Steve! That's what I've been afraid of. I will pony up for GS550 carbs in order to keep everything stock.

Comment

What threads did you mess up and how badly? I might be able to help. Send me a picture or three of the damaged carb.

Might be easier to attach to an e-mail than to post them here, my e-mail info is in my profile.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I shot ya an email.

Comment

I'll check it out when I get home.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
            X