No announcement yet.

Broken Exhaust Bolt Removal Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are drill bits that are designed to cut while turning counter-clockwise. I call them left-handed bits. It will remove the majority of the stud while the friction helps to turn the stud to left, loosening it while you drill.
    For example....https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-10038A-...and+drill+bits
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Current situation:
      20171009_165332.jpg

Have not got the torch yet, and getting those left hand drill bits is a great idea. Will get both soon.

Comment

If the "easy-out" (never NEVER EVER use these stupid brittle things on a bolt that's stuck due to corrosion) is still stuck in there, there's no drill bit that's hard enough to get through the easy-out. Grinding or (sometimes) shattering the remnants can work sometimes.

I've never tried this, but supposedly you can dissolve these things with an alum solution. It eats steel, but not aluminum. Takes a while, though.

There are some other chemical methods -- many can be quite hazardous, so watch it. And keeping the solution in place is difficult in this case, since the bolt is angled down a bit. I suppose you could remove the gas tank, drain the oil, and suspend the bike vertically...
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          If the "easy-out" (never NEVER EVER use these stupid brittle things on a bolt that's stuck due to corrosion) is still stuck in there, there's no drill bit that's hard enough to get through the easy-out. Grinding or (sometimes) shattering the remnants can work sometimes.

I've never tried this, but supposedly you can dissolve these things with an alum solution. It eats steel, but not aluminum. Takes a while, though.

There are some other chemical methods -- many can be quite hazardous, so watch it. And keeping the solution in place is difficult in this case, since the bolt is angled down a bit. I suppose you could remove the gas tank, drain the oil, and suspend the bike vertically...
          Yeah I was thinking dremel with cutting wheel. Maybe I can heat it all up enough, cut a slot, get a flat head in there and maybe some vicegrips on the flat head? It also didnt break off all the way in, Im pretty sure with a little patience I could get it out.
          Last edited by Guest; 10-12-2017, 12:08 PM.

Comment

an easy out what an odd name for a product. A class action lawsuit should fix that.
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

^^I LIKE that! ^^^

Try this thread. (don't be fooled by the name of the thread-that's just where it starts. It is excruciating but finally solved with carbide cutters from amazon
              Last edited by Gorminrider; 10-12-2017, 02:24 PM.

Comment

The bits I bought did not work, nor has the torch. I'll pick up some double cut burrs and try that. If not, welder.

Comment

A shop with a good welder would have that bolt out in under 15 mins.

That looks like the only choice from the look of what you have there.

David
                  2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                  2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                  1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                  2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                  1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                  1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                  1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                  Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
                    A shop with a good welder would have that bolt out in under 15 mins.

That looks like the only choice from the look of what you have there.

David
                    I did buy a wired fed flux welder. I have not had time to drop any beads or practice (I've never welded in my entire life), so I am hoping I might have some time in the future to get some practice in. Im thinking I can weld a nut on the side sticking out so that I can try and get it off with a wrench. If it breaks, I can just reweld it. My fear is welding directly to the head on "accident".

Comment

The head is aluminum. The weld won't stick to it.
                      https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
                      1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by TinkersCustom View Post
                        I removed my exhaust a while back to replace my chain and sprockets. Had to be pulled off to get the back axle out. Anyways, I broke the lower bolts right off on both sides. I have about 1/4 of inch of bolt still sticking out, but cant get it all the way out.

Ive tried spraying it and soaking it in penetrating fluid (free-all). Tried to use easy outs (drilled a small hole to get it started) and broke them trying to get it out. Short of welding a nut on the end (which i do not have welder or the skill required), or short of drilling it out, I am not sure what else to do. Im worried if i try to drill it out, Ill drill to far and in to the motor =\ I also realize the bolts go in at a very slight angle.

Do you guys have any suggestions?
                        That's the only way I got mine out. No welder, no skills, bought welder, made it up as I went along.
                        The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Originally posted by TinkersCustom View Post
                          I removed my exhaust a while back to replace my chain and sprockets. Had to be pulled off to get the back axle out. ...........
                          And next time, maybe, try this, what work on stock configuration anyway: Remove shocks so can lower rear wheel so axle lower than the exhaust. (or may something particular on your bike that this not an option.)
                          http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                          Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
                          X