Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with baffle or some way to make less noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with baffle or some way to make less noise?

1166 on a 750 frame, 4 into 1 header.
    I'm getting older and don't like the roar like I did when young.
    I'm okay with loosing a tad of power.
    Don't have to be quiet as stock.
    Just need some noise reduction.
    I do have a fg wrapped baffle insert in mid section of pipe right behind collector, then a turn out exit.
    It idles OK, but anything over 4k when cruising is a bit loud.
    The wrapped baffle has a 1in hole in center , I welded a washer on with a 3/4 hole, it got quieter but killed the top end.
    I've searched ebay, they have many options,need some Advise!
    They have a slip in DB killer that looks interesting, but I'd like to hear some Reviews?
    Thanks, old man with a loud bike.lol
    Attached Files

While I appreciate the looks of that pipe you are going to have to fit a proper canister muffler if you want to keep the power and cut the noise. The two ways to lower exhaust noise are to restrict the flow or add volume to the muffler. Since you have no muffler to speak of that leaves you with flow restriction. For a straight through canister muffler the noise reduction is mostly proportional to the ratio of the canister ID to the outlet hole diameter. You have what looks like maybe a 2.5" pipe with a 1" hole in it, which doesn't give much of a ratio. If you went to a 3.5" canister with the same 1" hole the flow would likely increase a bit and the sound would come down noticeably. Unfortunately, that doesn't look as good as the pipe you have...

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I have a old slip on canister that came with some pipe at one time or another, if I can find it.
      It might even be the one for it. And it is about 3in Dia with a insert.
      I'll look for it today.
      I was thinking of something to go inside my 2.5 pipe, and still keep the look, but I'll install the can and c what it looks and sounds like.
      Thanks for reminding me?

Comment

Most of the slip-in baffles I have seen have a pair of disks that fit inside the outer shell, and a perforated tube between them. Some sort of absorbent material surrounds the tube to control the echo in the outer chamber. The diameter of the perforated tube will determine airflow capability and noise level. Generally, a smaller-diameter tube will be quieter, but will limit top end, as you have noticed. That might also fit in with Mark's theory on diameter ratios.

When my son had his 650 (still pictured in my sig), the baffle fell out one night on his way home from school. It was a MAC pipe, so we got a MAC baffle to put in. In the process of shopping for one, we found their "street" baffle. It has a couple of bent pipes inside the outer shell, which requires the exhaust gas to change direction a couple of times. No idea what it does to the top end, but it sure sounds nice.

I have a header of unknown origin on my 850. The baffle has the same 'two disks and a perforated tube' setup, but with a twist. In the middle of the tube is a flat disk that blocks it entirely. That forces all the exhaust to go THROUGH the perforations in the front half of the tube into the outer chamber, then back through the perforations in the back half and out the exit hole. Again, it might restrict the ultimate output a bit more than a straight-through performance pipe, but I REALLY like the sound. I have stainless steel wool as packing around the baffle, as there needs to be airflow through the baffle material.

Here is what the MAC street baffle looks like:

Compare that with their competition baffle:

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I found my mac can and baffle, it looks just like u r first pic. I cut the front circle end off, drilled 8-10 1/4 in holes, and wrapped it with steel wool and fg mat.
          I had never installed it back when I bought the pipe. I wanted the custom chrome turndown look.
          I drove it today without the packing, didnt get over 5k, a little ding sound similar to a 2-stroke.
          I then wrapped it and drove it again, WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE, much quieter than before, much more low and mid, not
          surprising , but damn the top got WAY better also, maby 5-10hp it feels like.
          the factory design baffle was WAY better than my diy homemade baffle !!!
          quieter and faster, u learn something new every day!!!
          IMG_1401.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs7501166 View Post
            ...the factory design baffle was WAY better than my diy homemade baffle !!!
            Every once in a while, something like this happens to remind you that somebody, somewhere, just <might> have access to some design resources that we just can't afford.

Yeah, it looked a little nicer with the chrome, but I hope you (and everyone else around you) enjoy the peace, quiet and the power.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I'm OK with the look, but I'm really excited about the new sound and POWER!
              It has a nice mellow tone, idles smooth and quiet, now maby I can sneak off without anyone knowing.
              In another thread I tuned the carbs,a bunch of times,trying to get it just right.
              After I was done,with jets and clip, and float settings, their was still a tad of random stutter off idle when cruising, damned if it ant gone.
              I'll probably have to go back and play with the mains , I have 117.5s now and that seems lean according to what others have ended up with on a 1166.
              It used to try to lift the front wheel a tad on 1 to 2 shift, now it trys to raise the wheel in first gear Roll
              ons .
              I'm very pleased, thanks all for the info!
              Attached Files

Comment

Gottal love those super-sticky tires, too.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Peril tires, bikebandit, bout 60$ ea, free ship on 100$ order.
                  Got 200 miles on them, and love them!

Comment

OK, missed my fancy chrome look, so I had to work with what I Had?
                    What do you all Think?
                    I like it better than flat black,it's semi gloss, and a old tank emblem!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, it's better, but I STILL like the super-sticky tires.

How do you get them to hold the bike upside down like that?

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

I wish someone would tell me how this happens,I've turned my pad both ways ,to pic,and they come out fine in my gallery,but this fourm only they go upside down,HELP?

Comment

You are kidding bout ,tn email tres I thiink, they were budget tires, that's all I know bout them?
                          Ride and stick good though!
                          And I NEVER push my bike in the l curves, I'm a straight only speed man!
                          Working on a Damper on another thread now!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs7501166 View Post
                            OK, missed my fancy chrome look, so I had to work with what I Had?
                            What do you all Think?
                            I like it better than flat black,it's semi gloss, and a old tank emblem!
                            I would suggest getting some of the aluminum finish exhaust paint, it gives a semi-gloss kind of aluminum/ceramic coated look that would be closer to the brushed stainless look of the header and mid pipe. YMMV, of course. The glossy black look isn't that bad, much better to my eye than the flat black.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            Yeah, it's better, but I STILL like the super-sticky tires.
                            +1, wish any of my bikes would stick to the ceiling like that.

Mark
                            1982 GS1100E
                            1998 ZX-6R
                            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I just noticed you are using EMGO pods. Sorry to see that

Comment

Working...
                              X