Looking for more opinions on my mixture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for more opinions on my mixture

I am Soooooooooo close to perfect that I am getting greedy I think. It runs strong to red line and I am no longer afraid to take it on longer rides. This weekend I went on a spirited ride with the wife. Didnt really beat on it and it never went over 6000rpm but we raced around the mountains. It was about 97 degrees out

Last week I had the idle so it was dropping rapidly at lights and engine breaking was great but it would bubble a little at long lights going between 1000 and 800. Never stalled but it was a little weird. I had my screws open to 3 turns. The plugs were looking blackish but not sooty.

I did a sync after that and I turned the screws down 1/4 turn. When I went out this weekend it dropped quickly and stayed at 1200-1100 and sounded great. After about 35-40 miles it started hanging at 2000 rpm at lights for a 10-15 count and then drop in at about 1500.

I pulled a plug today which was the first day since that ride and it looks grey with some tan. I think I either have to lower the main idle screw a tiny bit to compensate for fully hot or turn my screws back up 1/4.

I am that close to perfect. I went from not running to talking about 1/4 turns!!

Those look rather lean to me. If you think 1/4 turn might be too much, try 1/8 turn.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you steve. I thought it looked a bit lean too and am thrilled you chimed in. Going to bump it up a touch and check again.

Comment

Before you turned not the screws down a 1/4...If you bumped the throttle a bit when sitting at the light, did it idle good again? If it’s only at long lights, could just be your carbs loading up a bit and a blip should fix it.
        -1980 GS1100 LT
        -1975 Honda cb750K
        -1972 Honda cl175
        - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Well I turned them back up 1/4 turn to 3 turns out and the idle drops like a stone and engine braking is nice even after its hot hot. But if I sit at a light it continues to drop slowly and then looks to stall and bliping the throttle doesnt help. So I did as steve suggested came back and turned it down 1/8 and it is a happy medium. Will sit for lights without a problem, engine braking is good but the idle when when the bike is very hot kind of cruises down to idle and doesnt drop to it. I think I am as good as this bad boy is going to get and I am cool with that.
          alex

Comment

At some point you have accept "good enough"
            At least that has been my experience and practice

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post

At some point you have accept "good enough"
              At least that has been my experience and practice
              You are so right sir. I forgot these old bikes have a bit of "personality" and you have to buy into it if you want to enjoy owning one. Runs great and is fast, nimble enough and my wife loves it. I will just enjoy it and stop obsessing.

Comment

Working...
              X