Carb sync tool on Ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb sync tool on Ebay

Well I'm going to take a stab at syncing my carbs, the first time I've ever done so. There is a set of vacuum gauges on Ebay, what do you guys think?

Also, I've searched the forum, is there a carb sync .pdf for Suzuki posted anywhere? I've watch a bunch of YouTube vids but they are for other bikes and most of the information consists of "uhhhh"........"uhhhhhhh", "uhhhhh"......, "go ahead and" ......"okay?"......"okay?......,"uhhhhhhh", "uhhhhhh", "go ahead and"...." etc, etc.

Those might work, but you won't be happy with them. Get a Carbtune.

There is probably a sync tutorial on BassCliff's site.

Comment

I'll probably "T" all 4 guages to 1 vacuum input to see if all 4 guages match each other and if not, add or subtract the difference when doing the sync. BTW, Could you provide a link to BassCliff's site?

Thanks, Mark

Comment

I have a similar set. It came with, and needs, damping valves to dampen out pulsations which otherwise move the needle too much. Like these, the gauges, while at rest, do not zero out identically. I try to make an allowance for that, based on the zero position at rest. It does as well as my Carbtune. The thing works just fine.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon Breath View Post
          Those might work, but you won't be happy with them. Get a Carbtune.
          +1. The pound is low enough that the Carbtune is only slightly more expensive than those guages and it is a known, proven high quality product.

Carbtune motorcycle carburetor synchronizers;polycarbonate tool pouchs;for motorcyclists

Originally posted by Mickeymoe View Post
          BTW, Could you provide a link to BassCliff's site?

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Mark already got you the link, but it's actually well-known enough that Google will find it for you.

Note that in some circles, it's also known as "BikeCliff's site". He plays bass guitar, and on the guitar forums, he's known as "BikeCliff".
            Here on a bike forum, he's known as "BassCliff". Same guy, same site.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Emgo sells them for around 60 bucks. Now to dispel a few myths. If you know how to modulate the needles using the dampner knobs youll get the jump eliminated and all 4 at very very close to each other. As for them not being as accurate as a Carbtune...that's true in the sense of how touchy the Carbtune is as compared to the dial setup.

As for "calibrating"..heres what you do. Get them all connected to ONE vacuum source off your bike with some tees. Next unscrew the lenses and use the small brass slotted ASDJUSTER to dial all 4 to the same spot. They work amazingly well actually...just not as sparkly farkly as the Crabtune is.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                Emgo sells them for around 60 bucks. Now to dispel a few myths. If you know how to modulate the needles using the dampner knobs youll get the jump eliminated and all 4 at very very close to each other. As for them not being as accurate as a Carbtune...that's true in the sense of how touchy the Carbtune is as compared to the dial setup.

As for "calibrating"..heres what you do. Get them all connected to ONE vacuum source off your bike with some tees. Next unscrew the lenses and use the small brass slotted ASDJUSTER to dial all 4 to the same spot. They work amazingly well actually...just not as sparkly farkly as the Crabtune is.
                I found they work very well, too. I did my calibrating just as Chuck says, although I used my MightyVac brake bleeder for the vacuum source.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

I have the same set and they work fine. I will say that the o-rings that came with mine were junk, but beyond that the set works good.

Comment

If he's a bass player, shouldn't his screen name be Bass CLEF?

Comment

The set I got has really cool attachments for going on to the manifolds. I also have a Carbtune. I was surprised how junky the attachments are in the Carbtune compared to the round gauge set I have. Currently, I have one set in Maine, and one set in Oregon. Both work just fine. I didn't recognize the angle damping valves in this set. Should work fine.
                      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Never thought about the mighty vac as a source for calibrating the needles to each other...great idea.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickeymoe View Post
                          If he's a bass player, shouldn't his screen name be Bass CLEF?
                          Yes, that would be entirely appropriate, but his first name happens to be Cliff.

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                          Never thought about the mighty vac as a source for calibrating the needles to each other...great idea.
                          After all, it IS the "single source" that you need. No pulsing, either.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I also have a set of those dial type, I replaced the rubber hoses with silicone. They work fine.
                            My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Just thought I'd chime in, I've got this similar looking set off of amazon:

I'm actually pretty surprised with the quality that they are. When I got the set they where not all reading zero but they do have an adjusting screw to set them all equal.
                              The current garage:
                              1978 GS750
                              1975 GT750M
                              1984 CB700SC
                              1982 XJ650 Seca Turbo
                              1975 RD250 - 350 conversion

Comment

Working...
                              X