83 GS550 Carb Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS550 Carb Identification

Hey eveyone, sorry to be a noob. I bought this bike recently, VIN says its an 83' GS 550. Having carb issues, so wanted to get a rebuild kit, however I cannot find out what carb it is. I have reason to believe its not the original because the last owner had lots of work done on it over the years building it as a track bike. The ID number I get off the Mikuni Carbs is 43440, which is not what should originally be on there. Only issue is I cannot find out what the carb is actually from/what year it is. Any help would be awesome, thanks!

You don't need nor want rebuild carb kits. Get new orings from Robert Barr - www.cycleorings.com - and pick up some Berryman's carb cleaner. Than go to http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff and download the rebuild tutorial
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by aabickett View Post
      Hey eveyone, sorry to be a noob. I bought this bike recently, VIN says its an 83' GS 550. Having carb issues, so wanted to get a rebuild kit, however I cannot find out what carb it is. I have reason to believe its not the original because the last owner had lots of work done on it over the years building it as a track bike. The ID number I get off the Mikuni Carbs is 43440, ...............................................
      I was thinking it might help if you posted a picture.

Like this .... ??

Note: I had done a search for Mikuni Carbs 43440 and found this picture. It is from a posting on another mcykl froum a few months ago, posted by a "aabickett", so I assume is you.... and your bike.
      Last edited by Redman; 11-04-2017, 07:21 AM. Reason: later note

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

The '83 550 was the first year of the BSW30 double-barrel carbs. Not sure Mr. Barr has kits for them.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sorry, I thought I remembered seeing a post from him some time ago saying he had them. Maybe it was during one of my sleep forum days

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Sorry for the repost

Sorry for the repost, posted to Dotheton webpage for the same issue and didn't get any info, so I figured I would ask you guys too. Yep that is my bike!
            Main question is that if the number 43440 on the side of the current carbs on the bike is for different that original carbs, what kind of carbs are these, and what do I need to repair them. Carbs look the same as original, but they have a different number stamped on the side. Original carbs should read 43410, while mine are the 43440.
            Originally posted by Redman View Post
            I was thinking it might help if you posted a picture.

Like this .... ??

Note: I had done a search for Mikuni Carbs 43440 and found this picture. It is from a posting on another mcykl froum a few months ago, posted by a "aabickett", so I assume is you.... and your bike.
            Last edited by Guest; 11-04-2017, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Oh... no problem with you asking here what you asked elsewhere. No problem at all.

Good that you found GSR.
              Welcome to GSR.

Yah, those years of 550s had carbs unique to pretty much just that model, so not too many folks will have familiarity with them.

You said the carbs had that number on them, and you think are not original stock for the bike. Maybe you can say why you think that.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

AA,

Based on what Steve said (and I would never doubt what Steve says), I did a search on "Mikuni BSW30 carbs", and found some info,
                hey, look at this: Some fourmn for 70s & 80s Suzuki motorcycles

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Last edited by Redman; 11-04-2017, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Thanks. The only reason I think they aren't original is a guy we know who knows about bikes came by and said he didn't think they were original. Also, I looked up the carbs that should be on there, says the number is 43410, while the number on these is 43440. So what I have been working with is. A. Find original carbs to replace these, or B. Find out what carbs these are and get a rebuild/o ring kit. Total story is, bike runs like junk. Needs starter fluid to start, runs but dies a lot. Guy says I need to tear down and rebuild the carbs, says they might be varnished from the new fuel used nowadays. I also have no working knowledge of motorcycle carbs, or carbs in general cause I'm 26 lol

Comment

Where do you live? I know you put the US as your location and that's fine but there might be one of us close enough to help.
                    Last edited by cowboyup3371; 11-05-2017, 07:59 AM.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

My 85 gs550e carbs are stamped 43560. As far as I know mine are stock with all factory specs.
                      1981 Suzuki GS250T
                      1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
                      1985 Suzuki GS550E
                      2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                        Where do you live? I know you put the US as your location and that's fine but there might be one of us close enough to help.
                        Hey Cowboy, thanks for the input. I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Comment

So to back it all up, the bike doesn't run. Mech guy told me it's the carbs, so I need to fix them. Problem is, he said the slides and the diaphragm is possibly the issue, and you can't find these parts for these carbs I guess. So he is advising I get the quad single barrel version for the bike, rather than the two dual carbs on the bike now, and replace the whole mess. I guess I'm just asking for advice on what to do about all this to get the bike running again. Should I try and work with these carbs, or look for new ones? If I work with these, what parts do I need. If I get a new carb set, where do I find it? Thanks for everyone's input, definitely appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by aabickett View Post
                            So to back it all up, the bike doesn't run. Mech guy told me it's the carbs, so I need to fix them. Problem is, he said the slides and the diaphragm is possibly the issue, and you can't find these parts for these carbs I guess. So he is advising I get the quad single barrel version for the bike, rather than the two dual carbs on the bike now, and replace the whole mess..............
                            A few comments:

- sounds quite severe.... this mechanic say "maybe carbs", or did he tell you a specific observation that indicates the carbs....?

- maybe a good cleaning will take care of what ever the carb problem is (if the carbs ARE the problem). Doesnt take much to clogg up a couple little ports or jets.

- maybe start another posting about "doesnt run".

Comment

those are OEMropbert Barr has the parts for flange o-rings anfd for internals hit him up.
                              1983 GS 550 LD
                              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                              X