No announcement yet.

83 GS550 Carb Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

youll never fit anything but the oem carbs which is what you have. They were designed in part to allow for a bnarrow intake section on the bike.Take em off clean em its the only way

hit it with a shot of either prior to removal to assure sufficient compression and proper function ignition
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
      A few comments:

- sounds quite severe.... this mechanic say "maybe carbs", or did he tell you a specific observation that indicates the carbs....?

- maybe a good cleaning will take care of what ever the carb problem is (if the carbs ARE the problem). Doesnt take much to clogg up a couple little ports or jets.

- maybe start another posting about "doesnt run".
      Hey Redman, so it runs if I push the choke all the way, mess with the Idle screw and spray ether. However, without either holding the throttle down all the time or or changing the idle to really high, it won't keep running. Really poor low end performance. Even if I find the sweet spot with the idle screw, I still have to use ether to start it every time. He said that it is most likely the carbs because of the age and design, something about the new gas we use today eating up the old rubber. Not actually 100% why he believes the carbs are the issue.
      Last edited by Guest; 11-06-2017, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
        youll never fit anything but the oem carbs which is what you have. They were designed in part to allow for a bnarrow intake section on the bike.Take em off clean em its the only way

hit it with a shot of either prior to removal to assure sufficient compression and proper function ignition
        Cipher, it looks like you have a 550 too, know of any place to get a gasket kit for the dual carbs on the bike?

Comment

bowl gaskets would need to be orded through a dealer or online suzuki oem parts supplier
          cycle o rings has the internal o rings as wll as those two needed for the fuel pipe that connects the carbs together you can also get the intak o rings which are likely gone bad due to heat and age

high idle is a symptom of these leaking
          20 bucks for all iirc
          never had to replace bowl gaskets as they fell off but i have seen some zealots use a gasket cement which serves only to require gasket destruction during removal.

Oh and take extreme care when finagling the brass valve seats out they are easy to distort
          get the fine manual here http://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac/...-ES-L_1983.PDF
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Thanks for the help Cipher. Im not sure about the gasket set because I have the weird two barrel carb. Thats been my biggest issue at this point is seeing if I can even find parts for it. I posted another thread with a picture of my carbs to see if anyone knows where to find diaphragms for them, since my mechanic says ill need them.

Comment

Use the parts fiche from any Suzuki dealership. The forum's favorite parts house is Parts Outlaw (www.partsoutlaw.com) in Florida but even your local can be useful. Keep in mind that they will take about two weeks to get to you - a week to get to them from the warehouse (your local is the same way as no one keeps parts in house for these old bikes) and than a week to get out to you. That last part is slightly longer than your local but they are usually cheaper in the prices than local can be.

So the carb bowl gaskets for your bike would run you (this includes the part number you need)

13251-05C00 - $6.31 each

I would still reach out to Robert Barr with CycleOrings to see if he has your orings; he's a member here so send him a PM
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Robert has the rings, I know I've bought two sets from the man.
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                X