Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS750E wont rev

hi,

I recently picked up an '82 GS750E with 1800 miles on it that was sitting for a long time. Major carb varnish so instead of rebuilding the set I picked up a rebuilt set off ebay - 32mm CV for that year.

To date - new oil, filter, air filter, spark plugs, fork oil, lube swing arm pivot, brake lines, tires, battery, etc, etc.

The bike starts up but as soon as I give it throttle it stalls - it wont rev. Same with choke on, off or in between. Just wont rev.

The intake boots are very pliable. I checked compression and all 4 cylinders are very good at 145-150 psi cold.

I am suspicious of the carbs given I didn't rebuild them. What is left to check before sending the carbs back?

TIA

Don’t be intimidated by rebuilding the original carbs... probably your easiest option. That said.... Airbox on or off? Vacuum line from the tank to the #2 carb on? You don’t really have a choke on cv carbs, it’s an enrichment valve that gets its air from under the diaphragm - so I’m not sure if the needle lifts properly when it’s open. Even so, sounds like a lean condition and something is clogged up.... or the airbox is off.
    -1980 GS1100 LT
    -1975 Honda cb750K
    -1972 Honda cl175
    - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Valve adjustment?
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Buying some used carbs off ebay and throwing them on your bike with the hope that they will work is extraordinary optimistic. You might want to check the Newbie Mistakes thread and carb rebuild tutorial linked in my signature.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Buying some used carbs off ebay and throwing them on your bike with the hope that they will work is extraordinary optimistic. You might want to check the Newbie Mistakes thread and carb rebuild tutorial linked in my signature.
          Well one thing, he has two sets of crabs to rebuild for it lol.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Yes airbox on with new filter
            Vacuum line connected from cylinder 2
            Supposedly reputable rebuild
            I have good compression but did not check valve clearance based on compression and low miles
            I was going to do that after u real it a bit

Comment

Personally I'd contact the vendor and discuss it with him before doing anything with those carbs. Reputable or not we all make mistakes. Besides we, and he, have no idea of the condition of the bike. You could have easily overlooked something. Dirt etc in the fuel tank that plugged up something in the brand new rebuild is a real possibility. Since it's new to you and you've never actually had it running and riding there are a lot of variables. Are you letting it warm up for a full 2 minutes or so before trying to get it to "rev". Before I condemned the carbs I'd do a little more checking.

I'd let it warm up with full choke for a couple of minutes or until it starts to stumble. Then slowly reduce choke. These old bikes are somewhat cold natured and first few starts, after getting one running, can be a little touchy until you have a few miles and starts under it's belt.

I owned a 750E for a while and it was horrible when cold. If I let it sit for a week or two I'd have to use starting fluid to get it started. Also that bike had the mechanical advance rusted and frozen. Easy fix just take the pickup plate off and squirt some PB Blaster on the moving parts. They should free up easily. Do yourself a favor and mark the position of the pickup plate so you can put it back on correctly oriented. It's under the front right side engine cover and there is no oil in there so pulling it is a cinch. Seems like most of the old Suzuki's I revive have that problem.

Comment

My previous comments about the mechanical advance would not cause it to not rev, off idle, as you describe. You would notice a frozen advancer above about 4k RPM and it would not rev to red line.

When you get your 750E sorted out I think you'll find it one of the most fun bikes made from that time period. It handled like a sport bike and acceleration? Like a little rocket.

Comment

Slides sound stuck
                  Check part numbers on jet needle and needle jet
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

sent the first carbs back that were rebuilt by and "expert". Bought another set and cleaned and the bike runs fine. I think the slides were not lifting on the other CV carbs.

Comment

Congrats on getting it running.
                      How about showing it off.
                      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Suzuki GS750E.jpg

here it is 1800 miles. It was a good find. New tires, chain, brake pads and braided lines and brake service, engine service, air filter and lots of disassembly and cleaning along with new carbs as the original carbs were unbelievably gummed up.

Comment

Nice looking bike.
                          Great seeing a stock exhaust.

Gotta laugh at the background.....wet suit and surfboards.
                          For a lot of it is snow shovels and winter tires.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                          X