Need help with gs 850 fuel system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with gs 850 fuel system

Hey, newbie here. Had a 1980 GS850L given to me. It had been sitting for 4 years. I cleaned the carburetors, changed tank(old one was rusty), new tires, etc. It won’t pump gas to the carbs. I first thought that the fuel cutoff valve lever was broken off but after looking on eBay to get a new petcock I see that there is no cutoff valve. Could somebody explain how the petcock functions and maybe diagnose it?

thanks

Comment

Hello and welcome. The fuel petcock is vacuum operated. By that I mean there is a vacuum hose, usually the one from #1 or #2 carb, near the cylinder head, which connects to the fuel petcock. When cranking or running intake vacuum is created and opens a valve in the petcock allowing gravity to feed fuel into the fuel line and into the carbs.

As for not seeing the "cut off valve" that is normal for the L series bikes. If you look closely you'll see a screwdriver slot where that lever would normally be. Don't put a screwdriver in there and start twisting it around. You'll be tempted to do it but DON'T until you know exactly what you're doing.

If the bike sat for 4 years and you are not experienced at cleaning carbs, I doubt that you got them really clean enough to actually run and idle. There are many How to's and Youtube videos explaining in detail how to clean the carbs. It's not just a matter of taking the carbs out and the bowls off and cleaning the grunge in the float bowls. Much more involved and precise process to clean carbs. Don't feel bad. We all started somewhere and in the beginning it would take 2 or 3 or even 5 times pulling the carbs to really get them clean.

Comment

Actually, go here

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ers-CLICK-HERE!!

and read thru all of the links. There will be a factory service manual and a tutorial for carb cleaning
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I’ve cleaned carburetors before but even if I didn’t get them completely cleaned I know there is no fuel getting through the gas lines. I put an inline filter in and I can see that gas isn’t being pumped(filter is transparent). I assume the valve is shut off. How do you turn it? Thanks for the info.

Edit die to add:
          on second thought you said it gravity feeds to the carbs. Maybe the extra couple of inches of hose I added on the other side of the filter lifted up to high so that it doesn’t flow?
          Last edited by Machinegunner; 11-17-2017, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Turn the fuel tap to PRIME and gas should flow. If not, then the fuel tap is blocked regardless of whether the vacuum part is functioning.
            Current:
            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Yes, fuel flows by gravity...petcock must function correctly and tank cap must vent.
              the 1980 petcock is an oddball- the screwdriver slot sorta gives you a prime spot but it might be clogged. Don't fiddle with it, just get new one like this guy sells for $50

this assumes your replacement tank is also from 1980 model. If not, there are better petcock choices. If you just want to see bike sorta run,rig up an auxilliary fuel supply tank to bypass petcock
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The leverless petcock doesn't have a prime like most other petcocks. The details of how the petcock works is explained in detail in the factory service manual. It needs vacuum to activate the prime and a check valve in the petcock back cover keeps the diaphragm open thereafter without vacuum. This check valve often fails though so be warned about that. A new factory OEM petcock is recommended. I bought one of those cheap Georgefix petcocks for one of my bikes, which look same as the OEM petcock, only the check valve was bad out of the box. Maybe just bad luck or maybe they are just cheap clone part junk. Not sure which.
                Last edited by Nessism; 11-17-2017, 08:23 AM.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by jdvorchak View Post
                  The fuel petcock is vacuum operated. By that I mean there is a vacuum hose, usually the one from #1 or #2 carb, near the cylinder head, which connects to the fuel petcock.
                  On your bike, it will be on carb #2. The carbs are numbered from left to right, as you sit on the bike. #1 would be under your clutch hand, #4 would be under your right hand.

As for not seeing the "cut off valve" that is normal for the L series bikes. If you look closely you'll see a screwdriver slot where that lever would normally be. Don't put a screwdriver in there and start twisting it around. You'll be tempted to do it but DON'T until you know exactly what you're doing.
                  That is actually more related to the 1980 bikes than the "L" bikes. Somehow, the 850G and 1000G bikes escaped the "dreaded '80 petcock", but I think all the others had that petcock without a lever. If I remember correctly, with the slot horizontal, it is in the RUN position, where it should flow fuel when there is vacuum applied to the diaphragm. When the slot is vertical, it is in the PRIME position. In that position, it does take one "puff" of vacuum to release the valve to allow fuel flow, but will then keep it flowing until you run out of fuel or the petcock selector is moved. It should generally be left in the RUN position. Note that there is no RESERVE position on this petcock, so it will be important, no, CRITICAL, that your fuel gauge works properly.

Originally posted by Machinegunner View Post
                  I put an inline filter in and I can see that gas isn’t being pumped(filter is transparent). I assume the valve is shut off. How do you turn it? ...
                  on second thought you said it gravity feeds to the carbs. Maybe the extra couple of inches of hose I added on the other side of the filter lifted up to high so that it doesn’t flow?
                  Depending on what fuel filter you added, THAT might be part of your problem. An automotive filter is designed for a system with a fuel pump that will force fuel through the rather restrictive filter membrane. The only "pump" on our bikes is a little bit of gravity. And, as far as your couple of extra inches, length does not matter. As long as the TOP of the fuel in the tank is higher than the fuel in the carbs, it should flow.

Four things that can hinder that:
                  1. Faulty petcock.
                  2. Vacuum hose not connected between carb #2 and petcock.
                  3. Restrictive fuel filter
                  4. Carb float valves stuck closed.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Wow lots of replies. Thanks everyone. I will try putting the hose directly in a gas can to see if it runs. If so I’ll probably get a new petcock. So will a 850g petcock fit? I presume not. I am not sure what tank I put on it. The guy who gave me the bike had it since he bought the bike. Fuel did leak around the petcock when I first put it on. I assumed this was due to a faulty gasket so I used rtv on it.

Comment

I dont know anything about a leverless petcock but you can simply check its operation by putting a 1/4 hose to the vacum side of the petcock and sucking. If the petcock is working gas will immediately start to flow from the fuel side of the petcock.

Comment

Skip the rtv and get the correct washers for the petcock mounting bolts - they are rubber bonded to metal, about 45 cents each at a decent hardware store. Your style 1980 petcock has 50mm centerline mounting bolt spacing - others have a 44mm spacing.
                        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Suzuki used at least two different petcocks for the GS. The real difference is the distance between the mounting bolts. Yours will be either 34mm or 44mm center to center. Or about 1 1/4 inch or 1 3/4 inch. So when searching for a new petcock be aware of the difference.

Just my opinion but using RTV to seal a fuel leak located just below your legs is not the best choice. Those engines get hot and a fuel leak between your legs is probably not something you want to experience.

Comment

Suzuki used at least two different petcocks for the GS. The real difference is the distance between the mounting bolts. Yours will be either 34mm or 44mm center to center. Or about 1 1/4 inch or 1 3/4 inch. So when searching for a new petcock be aware of the difference.

I've never seen a GS with a 34mm petcock. What model bike? I'm not familiar with the 250/300's so maybe those?

The leverless petcock is 50mm spacing. Suzuki needed a low profile petcock for bikes switching from VM to CV carbs in 1980. I'm not positive but I think that petcock was a one year wonder.

And there are quite a few different GS petcocks. Early 750 and 1000 used tall 44mm petcocks but the fuel outlet is in different locations. The 1980 550 had a unique petcock with a prime screw. And several model CV carb bikes went back to a 44 mm petcocks in 1981 (from the leverless petcock) but with a smaller lever and lower height. I'm sure there are others but this is off the top of my head.
                            Last edited by Nessism; 11-17-2017, 11:48 AM.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Ed is correct (as usual ) on all points, and there are a couple other details.

All of the leverless petcocks I have seen on a GS were on '80 models, but not all '80 models had leverless petcocks. My 850G and my son's 1000G have standard petcocks.

Yes, the leverless petcock appeared on the '80 models, but I can't say that it's because of the change to CV-type carbs, it just happened at the same time.

My wife's '82 850GL has one of the petcocks with the smaller lever and lower height. Unfortunately, that will not work for the OP.

Many of the units with 44 mm spacing can be used, but you really have to watch for overall height, to make sure you don't hit the carbs or airbox. The fuel and vacuum hoses might need to be lengthened or re-routed, due to outlet positioning, but they might work.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X