Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I use carbs from an early gs750 in a 79 gs850?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I use carbs from an early gs750 in a 79 gs850?

Ok guys. Quick question. I recently picked up a 1979 gs850. The bike came partially disassembled, but it looked to be mostly complete. I got it from a buddy who got it in a deal as a parts bike. I have a pretty healthy stock of gs750 parts so i figured I could cobble it together enough to get her going, After all, it's a gs. So fast forward a week and I've got the bike figured out. All that was missing was the front fender, exhaust, starter relay, mirrors, choke cable and a few other small bits.

Here is my question. The 79 gs850 has what looks to be a set of vm26 mikunis on it, much like the early 750s. They arent quite the same. The 850 came with the cable operated choke, and the 750 has the lever. I don't have the choke cable and I'm not really wild about cable operated chokes anyway. My question is, are there any internal differences to the carb bodies at all? Can I swap in a set of carbs from a 750 to solve my choke issue or even just swap the #1 carb that has the choke lever on to the bank of 850 carbs and change the linkage? 20171108_155533.jpg

Looks like the only difference in internals is the 850 went up one size on the main jet to 102.5 and increased the float height from 23 to 24. Take a look at the two specs closely there might be some other differences but it should work.
    Last edited by gsrick; 11-18-2017, 01:19 PM.
    :cool:GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Sweet. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
      X