850 g airfilter box rubber seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

850 g airfilter box rubber seal

I have a 1985 gs 850 g, the issue being that the rubber seals that fit inside the chrome end covers have fallen to pieces, these were never sold as a seperate item, and are, as far as i know now un-obtainable, i could go the 'pod' filter route, but would rather not if i dont have to, i spoke to a rubber moulding company regarding making me some new ones, however, the injection mould cost is prohibitive, and requiring two as a handed pair is needed; the question that i'm asking is has anyone made these seals, know where i could get them? Or successfully worked around this malaise, many thanks Robbie

Using urethane weatherstrip foam strips is a suitable replacement for those seals. A large number of members here report success with this work around.

Last edited by Nessism; 11-19-2017, 09:04 AM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Adhesive backed foam strips from hardware store have worked for me. (dont really know what type of material). Need to be replaced after a few years, not last 20-30 years like the original, but worked.
      When deciding where to place it, I chose to have as much of it as possible pinched between the box and the cover, so that as little as possible was hanging out inside the air box, perchance it deteriates over time then there is less of it inside the air box. Probably a minor consideration.

Have seen reports that the 850, for whatever reason, seems the be the harderst one to "tune in" the right jets if use pod filters. I have seen enough of those comments from knowledgeable members here, but dont really know why.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Weatherstripping your airbox is a time-honored ritual for shaftie owners. It works fine and costs very little.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

And where the two halves meet can be an issue .... and could talk about the "snorkel" on the back.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Airbox sealing

Originally posted by Redman View Post
            And where the two halves meet can be an issue .... and could talk about the "snorkel" on the back.
            I found some round section rubber seal on the net, complete with groove/slot along it's length, absolutely designed to locate onto the air cleaner box lip, and seal off them air leaks, happy days are here again; i've been so inspired that i might start my old 650 shaftie

Comment

Originally posted by Robbiem1961 View Post
              I found some round section rubber seal on the net,...........
              Good.
              Check to see that it is thick enough to take up the space between the cover and the box.

Comment

The rubber that i've got is 10mm; 3/8 diameter, it's available in other sizes as well, but i'll need to try this first and take it from there. When i fit the new rubber, put a layer of engineers blue on the outer face where it should press against the outer cover, and hopefully this will indicate as to whether it's sealing around the whole periphery: thankyou all you good people

Comment

Working...
                X