850 running rich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

850 running rich

Having now managed to fabricate a seal and seal the stock aircleaner box on my '85 850, the plugs are now fouled with carbon/soot, it's now obvious as to why she was such a bargain; the prospect of removing a bank of 4 carbs, and the latter refitting fills me with dread, maybe i should check the diaphragms and needle positions first??? All the inlet manifold rubbers are new, as are the hoses from the airbox, so it should be easier to refit, though i did struggle like a trooper with my gs 450, and she's a twin

All part of the learning curve. It does get easier the more you do it but still not one of the more pleasant tasks. Stick with it and good luck.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

1st step is to confirm the air filter is not clogged, so you know you have enough air coming in.

Next, pulling the carbs is not that hard. New rubber boots should make it easy
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Pulling the carbs is ok, but it's refitting the buggers that stresses me out, i'm glad to be reminded to do the easier things first, ie, check the filter element first, i'll pull the caps in situ and check the diaphragms/needles first, sods law, my harley wont start now😩

Comment

Pulling and replacing the carbs on a GS shaftie is pure cake. Easy-peasy. Ten minutes, tops.

Just do it...
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
          X