New mufflers or Delkevic pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New mufflers or Delkevic pipe

I need new mufflers for my 82 gs850l. Any recommendations ? Was looking at the Emgo reverse cone,short or long. Anyone try them? I was also considering the Delkevic 4into1. They claim their pipes do not need a re-jet? Thanks.

Welcome to the site, Roger.
    If you retain the stock filter and airbox, the Delkevic will not need rejetting.
    A search for Delkevic on this site will turn mostly positive reviews.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks Steve. How is the ground clearance on 4 into1 pipes?

Comment

I'll second that on the Delkevic. Stainless steel is different from what you are used to. They turn gold with heat but are easy to polish and clean. I bolted mine on with a stage three Jet kit and pods and was able to tune the carburetors with normal adjustments with all baffles in place. Sounds great! I have the up swept pipe, ground clearance is not an issue at all.
        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I now run a Delkevic on my 80 850. I changed from a V@H system and run pods. Did not need to change jetting, but did have to change needle height. The Delkevic system is a bit louder than the other though. There are no clearance problems in corners and the system fit like a glove and was very easy to install.

V
          Gustov
          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
          80 GS 550 L
          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Im glad I found this thread, I need a new exhaust for my bike too but didn't know where to look.

I was checking out the Delkevic site for an exhaust for my 1982 GS850GL and it has two categories for this bike:
            GS850 G GL (1979-1986)
            GS850GL (1980-1984)

When you check each one it shows a different part number for the complete kits. Do you guys know why this would be?

Comment

I think it could have to do with the slightly different muffler mounting brackets for each model. I would pick the model for the gs850l.

Comment

I put the Delkevic 4 into 1 stainless on my GS1000 1980, stock airbox and had to rejet CV B34 carbs I got help here on the site I think I posted my carb sync pictures.
                Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                Welcome to the site, Roger.
                If you retain the stock filter and airbox, the Delkevic will not need rejetting.
                A search for Delkevic on this site will turn mostly positive reviews.
                [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
                Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Comment

I wanted the original look for mine with the 4 into 2. Cut the mufflers off, had sleeves welded on and bought 2 Mac slip ons with sliding brackets. Looks original. The original header pipes are double walled which prevents discoloration. The Mac slip-ons have a removable baffle and the whole thing looks original. Found some heat shields and had them re-chromed. They cover the welded sleeves. There is no indentation for the axle nut, but when installed they are about 1/4 away.

Comment

Originally posted by mike10 View Post
                    I put the Delkevic 4 into 1 stainless on my GS1000 1980, stock airbox and had to rejet CV B34 carbs I got help here on the site I think I posted my carb sync pictures.
                    Obviously i should have listed some more info when i posted my response.
                    On a '78 GS1000 with stock filter and airbox, the VM carbs did not need rejetting with the Delkevic exhaust.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I replaced the rotted out original headers and megaphones on my 78 with a Delkevik 4-1 system. It fits very nicely and clearance is not an issue. If the pipe is dragging the ground you're probably crashing. My jetting was all over the place already due to a full carb rebuild and no stock air box so can't speak to that. It is a bit loud even with the baffle in. If it was a little quieter it would be perfect but if you're easy on the throttle it'll be passable even in a residential area. Goose it and it'll be loud.

Last edited by Guest; 01-15-2018, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post
                        I replaced the rotted out original headers and megaphones on my 78 with a Delkevik 4-1 system. It fits very nicely and clearance is not an issue. If the pipe is dragging the ground you're probably crashing. My jetting was all over the place already due to a full carb rebuild and no stock air box so can't speak to that. It is a bit loud even with the baffle in. If it was a little quieter it would be perfect but if you're easy on the throttle it'll be passable even in a residential area. Goose it and it'll be loud.

Good lookin' bike, nice photo.

Throttle cables still a bit long, eh?
                        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                        #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                        #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

When I originally acquired the bike it had buckhorns on it (and a fairing) and when I replaced them with superbike bend bars they were pretty long. I just kind of let them loop out there and deal with it. Doesn't seem to affect anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post
                            When I originally acquired the bike it had buckhorns on it (and a fairing) and when I replaced them with superbike bend bars they were pretty long. I just kind of let them loop out there and deal with it. Doesn't seem to affect anything.
                            Nope, it wont.

If you're ever going to replace them, length-wise I've had good experience with slinky glides from wemoto (no mileage on them yet, since it's on a project in progress).
                            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Working...
                            X