Intake boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake boot

Hey guys. I'm in the process of doing a carb rebuild on my 1981 GS450 but it seems like the intake boots arent the correct ones. I ordered the carb O-ring kit from cycleorings.com but when i took off my intake boots, there was no place for the 40mm O-ring. Attached is a picture. Am i correct in assuming that these arent the correct ones for my bike?
    Attached Files

Actually I think they are there. They are probably rock hard and you'll need a picker/sharp edge tool to get them out.

Comment

Originally posted by mnferwerda View Post
      Actually I think they are there. They are probably rock hard and you'll need a picker/sharp edge tool to get them out.

Yeah these are rock hard. When i hold up the O-ring to the boot, the diameter does look like the correct size. I'm wondering if I should just order two new boots from Partzilla. These have definitely seen better days.

Comment

yes you should order new ones

Comment

And get the proper clamps (not those generic hose clamps we see in the picture).
          http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
          Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
            And get the proper clamps (not those generic hose clamps we see in the picture).

Noted. These came with with the bike. Just curious though, will the proper clamps give me more vacuum? Not that i'm being cheap or anything I'm just curious.

Comment

they are designed for the carb boots so you get a better seal and no damage to the boots

Comment

Originally posted by jeremycharles View Post
                Noted. These came with with the bike. Just curious though, will the proper clamps give me more vacuum? Not that i'm being cheap or anything I'm just curious.
                More vacuum....?
                Yah, maybe.
                THe proper clamps fit in the grove in the boot, so, yah, will seal better.
                Generic clamps are wider and dont fit down into the grove, so will deform things.

When you got the orings... oh, did you get them from Cycle O-Rings (a fine GSR member here)?
                When you got the o-rings, did you also get a set of replacement screws?
                I imagine you had to bugger up the existing screws to get the boots off.

Last edited by Redman; 12-30-2017, 12:00 PM. Reason: typo
                http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Those look like they have a flange gasket, so that's definitely not right.

They also look pretty damaged, so I'd just order up new ones if I were you. Hey, at least there are only two!
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post

More vacuum....?
                    When you got the orings... oh, did you get them from Cycle O-Rings (a fine GSR member here)?
                    When you got the o-rings, did you also get a set of replacement screws?
                    I imagine you had to bugger up the existing screws to get the boots off.

Yes I did order everything from Cycle-o-Rings.

I work for Fastenal so I changed all the fasteners on my set of carbs to stainless socket head screws. They came off after a small spray of PB blaster and a couple taps with an impact driver.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      Those look like they have a flange gasket, so that's definitely not right.

They also look pretty damaged, so I'd just order up new ones if I were you. Hey, at least there are only two!
                      It looks like someone used some sort of mixture of a paper gasket/gasket sealant. Just ordered the boots and jets so hopefully I can get this carb rebuild wrapped up by next weekend.

Comment

Working...
                      X