Exhaust studs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust studs

I've been searching, but can't seem to find it. I seem to remember some mention of exhaust studs for a Ford that were a good fit for our GS's. I'm doing the top end on my 850 and since it's apart I figured it would be a good time to switch to the studs. Does anybody know the Ford model to ask for at the auto parts store?

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

I got my stainless socket head bolts at Lowe's. Can't remember the length or pitch right off hand. The stainless looks pretty good I think.

Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

The pitch is 8 by 1.25 mm
      NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
      Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

There is an outfit in England that sells a nice stainless stud kit through ebay.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Boltdepot.com. You'll pay $5-8 for shipping but the studs are less than $1 each. Replace your oil filter cover screws with studs and throw in case screws and it's a much better deal.
          Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
          2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
          1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

you can also get them at auto parts stores, if you don't want to wait, common enough.
            1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
              you can also get them at auto parts stores, if you don't want to wait, common enough.
              Yes, but what do I ask for?

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
              1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Hey Jordan - Thanks for this tip/info. I have been searching out bolt suppliers, Fastenal, online sellers etc who put together packages for crankcase covers for our GS's and have found it to be time consuming and often more expensive than I'd hoped. I have to say after going to Bolt Depot I think I've found the easiest source and good pricing. Pick them on line and wait for them to be shipped. Sure beats driving around going to and from stores to see if you can find the ones you need. Instead I can spend more time wrenching and riding.

Good Recommendation!
                GS550T 1981
                GS850G 1983
                GS650G 1982
                GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

I bought a set for the '79 GS1000E on E-bay and only used the allen head exhaust bolts to replace the originals. Didn't use any of the rest of them, but it didn't cost all that much, but that was a few years ago, like about 5. Because the new bolts were stainless and replaced galvanized or whatever the originals were, I used anti-seize on the stainless to protect against electrolysis corrosion.

I was so very fortunate though, I mean really, I had a set of GS1000 stock pipes to replace my rusted dinged up ones, but in fear of busting a head bolt off, I waited, and waited, and waited, and then one day, I decided to see if I could break them free. I couldn't believe my luck, those bolts just turned so easily and smoothly, all eight of them, and all the worry about breaking one off.
                  sigpic
                  Steve
                  "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Try https://alloyboltz.com/. I got a bolt kit for my 850. Was like 40bucks.

Comment

i have found them hanging on the rack in the "exhaust" section of my local autostoned....exhaust manifold bolts maybe?
                      1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

For studs, I have a few stainless threaded rods. I just cut them to size with an angle grinder, and grind the cut end to make it round, so it is possoble to thread it in. For studs, I add a bit of blue or red loctite so they stay in.

I also got a few bags of long M5, M6 and M8 stainless bolts that I cut to the correct length if I need them. Those button head allen bolts are also very nice for most places where the fastener is visual. For exhaust studs, flanged nuts are usially used on studs. I would avoid using bolts for the exhaust...

Comment

Working...
                        X