Randomly wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Randomly wont start

Sup guys. Pretty new to motorcycles, don't know much really. I bought a '82 GS450 with only 10k miles a few weeks ago. It was running fine but when I went to go ride today, it started up, sputtered out and died. I looked down and on of the fuel lines connected to the petcock had come disconnected and was pouring out fuel. I think it might have accidentally been set to PRI. Now the bike will turn over but wont start. Any suggestions as far as where to start trouble shooting? Thanks

You should be more clear. I assume the petcock was set to PRI (prime). This setting means fuel will flow nonstop. When this happens, it's possible for fuel to overflow the carb bowls, go into the intake, seep past the cylinders, and fill the oil pan with oil. Take a look at your oil level. If you suddenly gained "oil", this is what likely happened.

No idea why the hose would have come off...
    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Sorry for not being clear enough, I'm not positive about all the terminology. Some motorcycle savvy friends believe the engine flooded from leaving the petcock set to prime, hence why the bike wont start. Any idea what a fix for this would be/other possible problems?

Comment

Originally posted by dielman95 View Post
        Sorry for not being clear enough, I'm not positive about all the terminology. Some motorcycle savvy friends believe the engine flooded from leaving the petcock set to prime, hence why the bike wont start. Any idea what a fix for this would be/other possible problems?
        It could have flooded while on prime causing it not to start in a flooded condition. Why was it on prime? Maybe it was on prime because the petcock is bad........? 1-See if fuel feed through the petcock while starting on run. (Disconnect hose going to carbs, catch fuel in cup.) 2- See if fuel flows through petcock while on prime. (Catch fuel in cup)

Note: My bike need to be set on prime only if the have sat for a week or so. The 650 needs to be on prime for a few minutes to fill the float bowls and the 1100g only 40 seconds or so. Be careful not to flood or drain the battery.

I have ridden along and the bike starts sputtering and won't restart. I flip it to prime and it starts after setting a minute or so. I return to run and it's fine. I take this as a warning I might have crud in tank, lines, dirty carbs and possibly need a new petcock.

Learn to use the search feature in the upper right corner. There is a proper way to start these bikes. Leave the throttle alone. Choke only.

Welcome!!!!!
        Last edited by Charlie G; 03-01-2018, 10:26 PM.
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Make sure your vacuum line is also connected to the left of the left side carb. If it's come off it will make starting difficult and could damage the engine if ran.

Best way for us to help is post some pictures
          1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
          1977 GS550
          1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Working...
          X