Where the wild things go - hoses that is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where the wild things go - hoses that is

Would anyone happen to have a PDF of the article on basscliff's site of where the vacuum hoses and fuel lines go for a 82 850gl? Looks like several images are suffering from photobucket.

Would you settle for a written description?

There are only four hoses involved:
    #1 is a vent hose that goes to a "T" between carbs 1&2
    #2 is a vent hose that goes to a "T" between carbs 3&4
    Both of those vent hoses go back, over the airbox and end in relatively calm air, not connected to anything. If you look on the back of the right side of the airbox (assuming you have a stock airbox), you will see a rectangular 'thing' that is just big enough to hold two vent hoses to keep them from flopping around. Ideally, the #1 hose from carbs 1&2 will be long enough to make it over here.
    #3 is a fuel hose that goes to a "T" between carbs 2&3. The other end will connect to the fuel nipple on the petcock.
    #4 is a vacuum hose that goes to a nipple on the front edge of carb #2. The other end will connect to the vacuum nipple on the petcock.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That works, thank you. A question about fuel lines - the local bike shop here tells me I shouldn't use the the cheaper black car fuel line from an auto store, that I should buy his thinner walled clear fuel line since it works better (as in more reliable and not falling off). He says he installs his without hose clamps. What are your thoughts on using the black thicker fuel line and the use of hose clamps with either type of line?

I wonder if you can help with where to connect the vent for the crank case? There is a **really** small nipple off off the top of the crank case that I am not sure were to send. I am guessing since it is labeled .PLUG, BEVEL GEAR BREATHER on the parts diagram, it should have a hose and vented off the back of the engine.

Comment

That vent is connect to the intake manifold via a tube.

V
        Gustov
        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
        81 GS 1000 G
        79 GS 850 G
        81 GS 850 L
        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
        80 GS 550 L
        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
        2002 Honda 919
        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

This one?
          2018-03-02 10_21_54-1982 Suzuki GS850GL CRANKCASE (MODEL Z) _ Babbitts Online.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by jdion81 View Post
            A question about fuel lines - the local bike shop here tells me I shouldn't use the the cheaper black car fuel line from an auto store, that I should buy his thinner walled clear fuel line since it works better (as in more reliable and not falling off). He says he installs his without hose clamps. What are your thoughts on using the black thicker fuel line and the use of hose clamps with either type of line?
            There are rumors that you can get the proper size fuel line at a German automobile dealer, but it's still not the proper hose. If you look at the hose available at your local auto parts store, you will find 1/4" or 5/16" line. 1/4" is about 6.25mm, 5/16" is real close to 8mm. The stock hose is 7. Not much difference, you say, but consider that virtually all automobile hoses are thick and reinforced to withstand the pressures of a fuel injection system. The proper hose for your bike is simple, thin-wall, single layer hose that will bend to the necessary curves very nicely. The 1/4" auto hose will be so stiff that you can not stretch it over the fittings on your bike and the 5/16" hose will require a decent clamp to close it down to the right size. Hopefully it doesn't crease in the process, creating a leak along the crease.

Don't die of sticker shock if you look up the stock hose in the parts fiche. It's about $15 or so, but you get close to six feet of it, so it's not really that bad.

Originally posted by jdion81 View Post
            I wonder if you can help with where to connect the vent for the crank case?
            Yes, there is a small hose that connects there, and it gets routed forward, into the starter cavity. Really??? Yes, there is a drain hole below the starter, just in case anything happens to come through the hose.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X