Air box side carb boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air box side carb boots

Hey guys, the rubber boots on the air box side on my carbs are really hard and cracked. Getting the carbs on or off is a nightmare because of the lack of flex, and I’m worried about air leaks. I can’t seem to find any though, has anyone replaced theirs recently?

Doing some research on:

Wholesale Pricing On OEM Parts For Suzuki, KTM, & Yamaha. Specializing in Suzuki & Yamaha Vintage Motorcycle Parts.

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

I don't see an "E" model for your year bike...but based on what I've read recently, the "L" parts are used widely at least for the 1982 year. It's best to buy new ones but I would take some recommendations from members who have ordered and shipped to Australia.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

CV or VM carbs? "Old" or "new" airbox? Provide a picture, please.

On my bikes, the airbox side carb boots are quite hard as well, but I haven't experienced leakage problems so far.

I recommend lubing the boots up with some vaseline and heating them up with a hair dryer prior to installation, and in case of the old-style airbox, detaching the airbox from the frame.
      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

If you can post a photo of the carb/airbox area of your bike, that would help a lot -- there wasn't a 550E model in 1981 in the US, where most GSR members live. But there was a 550L and a 550T, and odds are good that the airbox boots are the same and available from Suzuki. One of the reasons so many people can keep these machines going so long is that Suzuki re-uses as many parts as they can across models and model years.

When you get new boots, you'll be astonished -- the old ones get very hardened and they shrink quite a bit. More than one person has complained they got the wrong boots because they're so much bigger.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

99BA8F15-CC3F-4171-9ACA-4F25E7E6C97F.jpg
          This is the area I mean, I can never seem to find the E model on any parts list, but I’m sure they are the same as the L

Comment

01E03690-D45C-40E1-BCF2-103E15132207.jpg
            You can see the size of the cracks that have me concerned

Comment

Problem solved, the local dealer has tracked some down. Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X