Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel needle valves in carb float question

Hello again GSResources Forum!

Some time ago I did post some questions about carburetors. Those were BS26SS from GSX 400 F Katana 1983. I probably won this battle but it isn't finished yet because I see that it still has childhood problems. So what the problem is? Float, after long standing without taking fuel I had to tap each float bowl because instead of closing they started to overfill and small pool of gas started to be created on the way. Problem 2nd is? After the tapping they do close just fine and motorcycle runs fine. I had only one leak after filling her up in the tank but I have found out that this vaccum based petcock doesn't close? So I think that pressure after closing tank cap just made floats to be forced to open and one of them got stuck again it was leaking from carbs 3 and 4 only.

And my final question is. Should I remove bowls again and try to find other needle valves which currently will be very hard to do(getting new needle valves with head) or should I ride it and hope those will stop being stuck after some use? My friends suggested me to first start riding it since when it runs floats close properly and it doesn't leak only after long stand when bowls are empty I have to very gently tap them with wrench and they go ok. Those needle valves are new and they came with matched head for them. They were included in kit from Japan which contained new jets, choke plungers and those valves only diaphraghms with sliders are chineese... because nobody except china makes sliders for those carbies they seem to work okay though.

One detail: When I was putting carbies back to one piece I tried those valves and they were sliding and rotating without any friction so I just think myself that floats aren't new anymore and they do have 34 years they do not sink I checked it but they do not work "stiff" alike they had some tolerances from use and maybe this causes overflow problem after standing because usually it happens only when floats are waaaaay down there without gas.

I had overflow problem only when first filled gentle tap solved it, after standing 5 months till spring and one overflow because of this goddamn petcock after filling up as I have described earlier but now I know that petcock doesn't close on it's own so for now I have to remove line, take it to mouth and push air in to close it. I have changed 2 tourmax kits thru it and it seems like I am going to clog vaccum part of it again and just run it on prime like before - problem free except well, you need to BE CAREFUL with filling gas on the road because it's straight 0 to 1 operation and you don't have any positions it will go totally empty on prime.

I cannot make it work any better, mixture set, sync done I see no black cloud like before when those carbies were bad and it ran like crap, very rich. It really runs okay only this overflow problem after standing I dunno what to do or just give up on this point.

Working...
X