Fitting carbs back onto bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fitting carbs back onto bike

Hi guys, I have finally started to put my bike back together.
    I cleaned and rebuilt the carbs last week but I am having trouble fitting the carbs back into the intake boots. May I also add that bike has been sitting without carbs in a non-heated garage for 6 months. Is it possible for the rubber intake boots to shrink?
    I am riding a 1986 GS 400 E.

Thanks, Andrew

I don't think the last 6 months of "shrinkage" will be as dramatic as the previous 32 YEARS.

May not be considered "cheap" by any means, but new intake boots are worth the investment.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

New boots are the best and should be the first option as Steve says. Getting new boots will save you heartache for quite some time and prevent potential vacuum leaks due to pinholes or other failures in the rubber.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

As stated, new rubber is what you need. If you're feeling lucky (or you want to do it twice), you can heat the rubber with a hair dryer.
        https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
        1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Lots of wood helps:

Richard
          sigpic
          GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
          GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
          GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
          GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
          Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
          Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Extreme measures are a great way to bend or break some nearly irreplaceable parts.

If your carbs won't pop into place by hand, pry open your wallet a bit and order up some freakin' intake boots.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

If you can't wait or afford new intakes at this time, use a ratchet strap, WD40 and a rubber mallet. Spray the intakes with WD40. Put the hooks into the 1 and 4 carbs or the down tubes or to itself. Whatever is the best for the application. Basically you're running the strap around the down tubes and the carbs.Make sure not to run the strap over anything that can be squished or damaged. Slowly tighten the strap and tapping the carbs with the rubber mallet. Watch how they are going in and don't rush. If your boots are really hardened they my split if forced to quickly.

Here is a video of a guy showing how he installed his carbs on his Katana. https://youtu.be/e4qZIq0-cWg
              :cool:GSRick
              No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
              Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                Lots of wood helps:

Geezus, never had to go to that extreme, a little silicone spray and lots of wiggling worked. My trick is install the carbs into the air box first then the intake boots. Helps if the boots are still good, new boots even better. Hard boots yeah no.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

+1 on Mr Bill's suggestion, but be very careful over what you run the straps.

Try to get new boots when you are able, then it'll make installing/removing carbs a breeze.
                  '83 GS650G
                  '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Did someone say-Get new boots?

They do need to be replaced every 15 years or so

Best money you'll spend because when those hard boots leak air and you can't get the bike to run correctly, you'll blame the bike
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Is WD40 a good idea? Thought it didnt have the best interactions with rubber (vs silicone, etc).

Comment

Working...
                      X