Engine only starts with starting fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine only starts with starting fluid

I recently purchased a 1982 gs 1100e with only 4k original miles. That being said I knew I had some work to do so I cleaned the carbs upon many other things. I went to start it yesterday and it will only fire up with a spray of starting fluid. I've tried with the choke on and off as well as the petcock on prime and on positions. Plenty of fresh gas in the tank and I checked in the float bowls as well. I definitely cleaned the pilot jet so now I'm stuck. Any suggestions would be very appreciated!

thanks,

Jake

Well if it fires up ok on sniffer (starting fluid) for now we would assume the sparks dept are working ish.
    On the face of it sounds like you are not getting fuel to the engine.
    Take the fuel pipe from the carbs turn the petcock to prime to ensure you are getting fuel.
    How exactly did you clean the carbs ?
    Did you check the float levels?
    When you say "I checked the float bowls" what do you mean?
    There is a good piece on cleaning the carbs here http://zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage...ing_Series.pdf
    you can get the orings from a member here Robert Barr http://cycleorings.com/
    Last edited by fastbysuzuki; 03-31-2018, 06:02 PM.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

It's nice to have clean pilot jets and fuel in the bowls, but there are many tiny passages between them. You need to disassemble the carbs and soak them in carb cleaner overnight, then re-assemble with new o-rings, NOT "carb rebuild" kits. O-rings are available from cycleorings.com.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Low miles on the bike, but the clock's been ticking on the intake O-rings for 36 years. Low-cost fix. Hard starting could also mean low compression / tight valves, but at 4k, I'd address the low-hanging fruit first.
        and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
        __________________________________________________ ______________________
        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Pull the plug on one of the float bowls and see if you are even getting fuel to the carbs. It is possible that you connected the fuel line to one of the vent T's?
          If no fuel in the carbs then remove the fuel line from the valve and attach a piece of tubing to the valve, disconnect the vacuum line from the carb and give it a suck, fuel should flow in all positions.

V
          Gustov
          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
          80 GS 550 L
          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Here's some REQUIRED reading for you:
            1A) (NEW) Trying to diagnose running problems on a bike with an unknown maintenance history. Common maintenance items like clean carbs, properly adjusted valves, no air leaks in the intake system (airbox, carb boots), a clean gas tank (no rust), and a properly functioning petcock are 100% mandatory for the bike to run properly.

First, immediately dispose of that starting fluid in the proper, legal manner (I usually say throw it in the trash, but that's not a nice thing to do to to your trash). It does absolutely nothing useful, and you stand a good chance of damaging your engine or yourself. Starting fluid has no place in any garage.

Next, properly clean and rebuild your carbs. You've got some small passages plugged.

No, there are no shortcuts. The carbs must be disassembled.

No, you can't just spritz some carb cleaner. That's a lovely way to ruin some very expensive rubber parts.

Fortunately, this is a lot easier than it looks... the carb cleanup series will guide you through every step of the way. And it's cheap -- all you need is the o-ring kit mentioned above from http://www.cycleorings.com

Do NOT waste money on carb kits. They're useless, shoddy imitation junk.

Here's the Carb Cleanup Series:
            Last edited by bwringer; 04-01-2018, 11:42 AM.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
            X